VFD Purchase help needed quick!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VFD Purchase help needed quick!

Can anyone tell me any reason not to buy this for a 3HP mill,any drawbacks, potential problems, etc. I may want one for a lathe also. I know very little about VFDs & need your help. These look like a good deal to me. Thanks in advance! Eric Ebay220778849454

You get what you pay for. That is a no-name Chinese import (ok, it has a name, but...). Don'tbe mislead by the ISO9001, before you buy ask ask them if it's UL approved, and ask for a copy of the sticker/registration number.

I'd spend a little more and get a Teco, or even more and get a Hitachi.
    Last edited by lakeside53; 12-25-2011, 06:08 PM.

Comment

That ebay no picture shows a HUANYANG ELECTRONICS CO.LTD. inverter.. they make and sell gazillions of them.

I have three of them ( in various sizes upto 7.5kw) running my pheobus milling machine.

They are well made..on par with the 4kw Teco running my lathe..

The manual is non existant..you'll get a download link for that. I have one in .doc format if you need one.

Rob
      Last edited by MrSleepy; 12-25-2011, 07:02 PM.

Comment

That particular seller sells under many different names. They don't really have stock in the US. They drop ship from Hong Kong. Look for similar ones with the same random number and letter tacked on the end to make them unique. (happykisssoul is another ID they use)

The unit they deliver does not have a manufacturer's name on it. It does not come in the factory sealed carton... unless the factory uses a plain cardboard box that is battered and the factory packing is bubble wrap.

Interestingly, when I filed a complaint about the out of country shipping for a part that was supposed to be in the US, the auction disappeared and thus no negative feedback could be left. Once I filed the complaint the part was air shipped that day, and I accepted it because my time was limited and I did not want to lose a long weekend.

Having said all that, the unit does work, and the connections and software do appear to match the documentation for the Huanyang models. There is no shielding on the case to keep swarf out of the electronics. I've only had it a few weeks and have only used it for about 30 minutes.

If you expect the slightly different model and the longer shipping time then you will probably be satisfied.

Dan
        At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

My buddy has bought several of the 2 and 3hp and there has been no problems yet, the packaging leaves a bit to be desired but delivery from Asia is faster than from the US.......how they do that I don't know.

I will be purchasing more also.......
          Opportunity knocks once, temptation leans on the doorbell.....

Comment

Unless you are electronically savvy, don't do it. Get a TECO or something more commonly used.

Randy
            Do yourself a favor and see if your TV carrier has America One News Network (AONN). 208 on Uverse. It is good old fashion news, unlike the networks, with no hype, bias or other BS.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. I have one more qurstion. No matter who's Brand I buy can I run a smaller motor than it's rated for? in this case the 4HP is only $6 more than a 3HP. It seems logically a better deal for $6 more. Any problem doing this? Again thanks for all your help & input. That's why I like it here.

Comment

In theory, a 4HP model will work as well on a 1 HP as it does with a 4HP. The 4HP model should have components that can stand higher currents. Because the device is programmable, it will have a setting for maximum current to the motor. That will limit the power sent to the motor to a safe value.

I have a 2 HP motor with a 3HP drive on a mill that originally had a 1.5 hp Taiwan motor. It has plenty of power even at the lower speeds. I'm still trying to figure out if it is 2 pole or 4 pole, since I hear that with a 4 pole you can overdrive (over 60 hz ) it if the bearings can handle it.

Dan
                At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

People have posted offering favorable user experience with this ChiCom VFD but I'm leery of the what third world packing and lack of documentation signifies. The guts (chips, power blocks, etc) are practically commodity market items like cement and soybeans and circuit boards cases etc in qualtifty is served by almost overnight suppy industry so maybe this item represent the irreducible price of a product at full technological maturity like home computers and cell phones.

I see US marketers offering basic VFDs for not much more money http://dealerselectric.com/item.asp?PID=737 which supports this conclusion.

A VFD suited for a simple machine tool doesn't require much sophistication. A basic fan control unit will suffice.

In the end, I dunno. The biggest concern I would have is if it goes TU; who do I call for warranty service? Tech support? If the VFD can't be serviced in the US I'd pay more money and get a VFD from an outfit who does.
                  Last edited by Forrest Addy; 12-26-2011, 02:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by flylo
                    Thanks for the help guys. I have one more qurstion. No matter who's Brand I buy can I run a smaller motor than it's rated for? in this case the 4HP is only $6 more than a 3HP. It seems logically a better deal for $6 more. Any problem doing this? Again thanks for all your help & input. That's why I like it here.

I'd take that 4hp with a pinch of salt. Is that 4hp with a 95% efficient motor or an 80% motor, and at what power factor? Will it really give that with single phase operation, or only with 3 phase input? Most of the common major brands cut off single phase at about 3hp.

Teco and Hitachi can answer these questions on their tech support lines, or you can read about it in their voluminous manuals. With this type of import, you have to rely on the poorly worded specs they publish.

Comment

Originally posted by danlb
                      I have a 2 HP motor with a 3HP drive on a mill that originally had a 1.5 hp Taiwan motor. It has plenty of power even at the lower speeds. I'm still trying to figure out if it is 2 pole or 4 pole, since I hear that with a 4 pole you can overdrive (over 60 hz ) it if the bearings can handle it.

Dan

That really doesn't matter; bearings are tougher than that. A 2 pole will have a synchronous speed of 3600 rpm, and a 4 pole 1800. It's more about rotor balance. I've never had a motor that can't be run at 90hz (50% increase in speed). I usually limit at 90hz for many reasons, but frequently run at 120hz.
                      Last edited by lakeside53; 12-26-2011, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53
                        That really doesn't matter; bearings are tougher than that. A 2 pole will have a synchronous speed of 3600 rpm, and a 4 pole 1800. It's more about rotor motor balance. I've never had a motor that can't be run at 90hz (50% increase in speed). I usually limit at 90hz for many reasons, but frequently run at 120hz.

Thanks Lakeside.

I'm assuming that since my motor has no vibration at 1750 rpm (can barely tell if it's running by touch) that it's well enough balanced for the occasional foray into the higher speeds.

I can use the pulleys to get to the higher ranges, but if I just need to make a small bit spin faster the higher freq on the middle pulley setup should be work fine.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by danlb
                          Thanks Lakeside.

I'm assuming that since my motor has no vibration at 1750 rpm (can barely tell if it's running by touch) that it's well enough balanced for the occasional foray into the higher speeds.
                          Dan
                          The general assumption is that most manufactures of 4 pole motors also produce 2 pole, and there is every likelihood that the same materials, bearings and balancing standards are used on the lower rpm 4 pole versions.
                          Max.

Comment

Originally posted by MrSleepy
                            That ebay no picture shows a HUANYANG ELECTRONICS CO.LTD. inverter.. they make and sell gazillions of them.

They are well made..on par with the 4kw Teco running my lathe..
                            Teco/Westinghouse has at least two tiers of price/quality. The entry level EV series are re-branded Chinese VFD's. The FM series and up are their industrial line, and substantially better quality. IIRC, the FM series are rebranded LG (Korean) units. I have an FM100 which is very well built.
                            "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

I'm not so sure you can infer price/quality just because of the county of origin. I'd like to think Westinghouse etc has some input into the QA/QC processes before putting their name on it.

The last EV Teco's i bought were from Taiwan, but I'm sure they get them made wherever.

Comment

Working...
                              X