How did I miss this? SB Heavy 10.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did I miss this? SB Heavy 10.

Grizzly has the South Bend 10K on their site now.

Good looking machine.

Might be a reasonable choice for lovers of Olde Iron who don't want to rebuild a machine.

edit - sorry, I guess I dreamed the 'heavy' part.
    Last edited by Tony Ennis; 12-25-2011, 11:43 PM.

There will be a "Heavy 10" in the future, but your link is for a 10-K, or "Light 10". If you do a search on this forum for "new 10k", you'll find plenty of comments. Link: http://www.southbendlathe.com/lathes.aspx

Comment

That particular lathe seems to be not a descendant of the 'Heavy 10' but of the '10K'. The '10K' was basically the same as the '9A' 9 inch lathe but with the larger swing, a much lighter lathe than the 'Heavy 10'. Strangely enough the 'Heavy 10' was the '10L'.
      Don Young

Comment

Ok, I apparently dreamed the 'heavy' part. Be that as it may, I wasn't aware any of the SB lathes were truly available.

Thanks for the correction.

Comment

IMO it looks like a nice lathe. I'd like to see one for real before paying the higher price they're asking, but if in fact it has the advertised quality I'd be tempted.

I still want to see their version of the "heavy 10" though.
          ----------
          Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
          Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
          Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
          There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
          Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
          Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

I wouldn't say "never" but given what more you can get from the Grizzly line (to keep it in house), it would take some convincing [suspect some of the features "missing" from that model will show up once a "Heavy 10" is listed but at what cost...from what I have read, actual back gears and larger through bore to start]

Comment

Nice looking lathe and a decent price for a low volume production run machine.

Only think that sticks out for me is the lack of a lever locking tailstock.

RDG the new owners of Myford say they are bringing the *new* Myford out late 2012 but it remains to be seen what they offer as regards design and cost.

This SB will appeal to owners of original SB equipment as it's so close to original spec. The *new* Myford will probably be so far off original spec to get the cost down it will start off life as an orphan and not appeal to original owners or new. We will have to wait and see.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Sorry to pee on the parade, but for a $5k SB 10, I'd be looking at a used lathe with much more capability.

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53
                  Sorry to pee on the parade, but for a $5k SB 10, I'd be looking at a used lathe with much more capability.
                  So would many of us but there is always the die hard enthusiast.
                  At the Myford auction the last batch of super7's / conny sewers were selling at £7K that's about $11K.

Which proves there are mugs / sorry enthusiasts about

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
                    So would many of us but there is always the die hard enthusiast.
                    At the Myford auction the last batch of super7's / conny sewers were selling at £7K that's about $11K.

Which proves there are mugs / sorry enthusiasts about
                    ok, but that was for 'real' myfords built the same way and by the same people. Whether there's value there at a given price is an individual decision/choice, but at least they really got what they paid for - a myford. What of this lathe is there, other than name and general look, that has any connection with Southbend lathe and what people expect that to be? Maybe its the greatest lathe ever made, I just find it deceitful (and I suppose disappointingly common) this branding game - where there's no integrity to the pedigree, just the legal possession of a trademark. Feels like a lie.
                    in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

i dont know ..maybe the new south bend is a liftime lathe ..could you say that about the other asian designs

all the best.markj

Comment

What of this lathe is there, other than name and general look, that has any connection with Southbend lathe and what people expect that to be? Maybe its the greatest lathe ever made, I just find it deceitful (and I suppose disappointingly common) this branding game - where there's no integrity to the pedigree, just the legal possession of a trademark.
                        the reason I mentioned other Grizzly is sort of for the reason quoted...if you had a choice, and one assumes there was a lot of control over the new South Bend in terms of format and details, why would you not improve it to some degree over what was? Was there nothing about the old South Bend "10", which by the way, the design is how old?, nothing that could have been improved?
                        Its advantages could have been kept and its short comings modernized/fixed. To me, it was an opportunity which was not fully taken.

Comment

South Bend

I agree with Russ. This would have been the perfect opportunity to upgrade the machines. Though it's true you can't please everyone, I think more people would buy them with upgrades than the few purists who want them to be forever the same. Every machine tool company upgrades their products over time anyway - why not have the new improved version to compete with other similar size machines?
                          Kansas City area

Comment

Russ,
                            Playing devils advocate here and if the design had been modified then it would not have been a SB10, just a badged up Asian lathe and would instead of being a stand alone have been compared to the other high volume / low cost Asian lathes.

I fully see your point and even agree with it but the customer base has then moved. How far is hard to judge, not that far and you still get the die hard's, a bit further and they start thinking about choosing one of the more popular 14 x 40 or similar.

Hard choice.

Comment

why not have the new improved version to compete with other similar size machines?
                              Exactly which machines would it be competing with? This SB 10K is twice the price of similar Chicom lathes sold by Grizzly.

The fact is, if the 10K is improved, it may look an awful lot like one of those Chicom lathes. The only knock I hear on those lathes is that the minimum spindle speed is too great. They're one countershaft away from the apex of price/performance. And regardless of what people may say, money talks.

Comment

Working...
                              X