DC Control Panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC Control Panel

Ok anyone converted there lathe to DC treadmil motor? I assume some has.
    Question: How do I wire in the DPDT and jog buttons?

HELP

Depends on the controller?.
    If using the KB or Baldor SCR drive and are reversing the armature, make sure you use the reset contacts when doing so in order to have the acell take effect.
    Max.

Comment

I'm not in the shop, so can't check the brand of controller I am using. It was used and came with an enclosure that included a pot for speed and a switch for run/jog. So no help with the jog button.

However, I wired in my own DPDT switch to control direction. I'll go google you a link.....
      Here ya go: http://www.robotroom.com/DPDT-Bidire...or-Switch.html

Andrew

P.S. Keep in mind that depending on the controller, some of them may not like the motor being suddenly thrown into reverse...could cause problems in the controller.

Comment

Center is off position .

Comment

A lot of peopl have used a treadmill DC motor to provide a smoother drive and variable spees for their small lathes.. I think most went to the better SCR (or better PWM) commercial controi because of the difficulty in altering the treadmill control accel decel features so the motor response is quick and crisp.

Most (or many or some) sooner or later went to a regular DC motor. Unless there's a compelling reason for using a trreadmill motor (budget limitations, low usage, plain user inertia) a general purpose DC motor is free of the open construction (some motors - allows chip accumulations) excess speed (most are rated at 4500 RPM), non-standard construction (makes mounting difficult if metal fab skills and resources are limited). It muct be accepted that a treadmill motor and its control is a specific purpose drive intended for a home treadmill and that a skillful installation may negate many of the objections to its use. Some motor/lathe/installations comes out lame just because of a bad combination/choice.

All this is to strongly suggest the user consider all the options, Any treadmill motor amy not be a good solution for any lathe. Identify your needs, consider your machine, examine the threadmill motors and controls available. Make a good choice.
          Last edited by Forrest Addy; 12-28-2011, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Treadmill motor is a Very generic term as it covers many motors of different quality, anything from the el-cheapo to a Leeson or a Baldor, which are among the best you could hope for in a treadmill.
            I have come across a few that have reversed the polarity without the reset input and very hard on the motor and the drive.
            If the complete enclosure unit is purchased, these come with a reversing toggle switch that automatically force a stop between forward and reverse as well as the reset contact.
            Max.

Comment

Working...
            X