Maybe I want this ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe I want this ?

So it looks like the majority of these lathes in this price range are made in china or taiwan, does it matter, so I am thinking of getting a bigger name to back and sell the product will help with warranty and parts. So is this Baileigh a descent buy with a digital readout ? I think they are about $5400. Is the digital read out worth buying ? What else in the price range is available ? Thanks

http://www.baileighindustrial.com/la...-1236E-DRO.php

Check out the Grizzly site for a lathe that looks fairly similar. And the lathe you linked may not come with that stand.

Comment

Why do you think they are a big name? if you want a big name, Grizzly makes similar.

A low top speed also. I'd expect 2000 or 2500. You don't tend to use it much, but is sure nice when needed.

edit :lol - tony and I must think alike.

and Flat - please fill in your location so we know if you are in the USA or Fiji.
      Last edited by lakeside53; 12-27-2011, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Ennis
        Check out the Grizzly site for a lathe that looks fairly similar. And the lathe you linked may not come with that stand.
        Grizzly 14x40 and G4003G are out of stock in northwest till june ?
        They won't ship the ones in Wisconsin or Penn. out west until they come in stock in Washington until June. That doesn't layout a good starting policy for repair or parts.
        Last edited by Flat Tire; 12-27-2011, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Dunno, but I thought the lathe you linked was 12".

Where are you?

Comment

Dunno, but I thought the lathe you linked was 12".

Where are you?
            Idaho, tried to buy a Grizzly was told NO !

Comment

Were you told "no", or where you told, "out of stock 'til June"?

Comment

Are you trying to buy a 12 or a 14 inch lathe?

Although it' s good to think about support, parts for lathes are required rarely at best. Look at the Enco Turnpro range, Jet or Victor lathes (and there are many others).
                Last edited by lakeside53; 12-27-2011, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Would you want the electronics ? Or would you put them on later ? Or would you want them at all ??

Comment

Were you told "no", or where you told, "out of stock 'til June"?
                    That is kinda the same thing , sorry ?

Comment

Originally posted by Flat Tire
                      Grizzly 14x40 and G4003G are out of stock in northwest till june ?
                      They won't ship the ones in Wisconsin or Penn. out west until they come in stock in Washington until June. That doesn't layout a good starting policy for repair or parts.
                      The G4003g is a popular machine is why it's out of stock.I know two people who bought one and one more waiting.

Oh,it also has a unique feature for it's size.It carries a D1-5 spindle where the others in it's size carry a D1-4.
                      Last edited by wierdscience; 12-27-2011, 09:58 PM.
                      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53
                        Are you trying to buy a 12 or a 14 inch lathe?

Although it' s good to think about support, parts for lathes are required rarely at best. Look at the Enco Turnpro range, Jet or Victor lathes (and there are many others).
                        Do you have an Enco, Jet or Victor ?

Comment

No, but I know several with them. They are typical of Chinese/Taiwan machines, but the companies behind them are substantial - which was one of your critera. Personally... my tastes are elsewhere.

There is is a big difference between 12 and 14 inch machines - what are you after and what will you use it for?

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience
                            The G4003g is a popular machine is why it's out of stock.I know two people who bought one and one more waiting.

Oh,it also has a unique feature for it's size.It carries a D1-5 spindle where the others in it's size carry a D1-4.
                            The G4003g is similiar to this Shop Fox. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...3984_200423984
                            are these made buy the same people ? And would you want the electronics ?
                            Last edited by Flat Tire; 12-27-2011, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53
                              No, but I know several with them. They are typical of Chinese/Taiwan machines, but the companies behind them are substantial - which was one of your critera. Personally... my tastes are elsewhere.

There is is a big difference between 12 and 14 inch machines - what are you after and what will you use it for?
                              Making small parts and/or gunsmithing-

Comment

Working...
                              X