OT More Phish Scams or Trojan Loads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT More Phish Scams or Trojan Loads

I got an email today with a pretty sneaky pitch. It was (purported to be anyway) from American Airlines with a zip file of the ticket for an upcoming trip telling me to print out the ticket. Date is right on the 26th of January. Only problem, I'm scheduled on Delta, not American. I didn't download whatever they had in the file, but it would be an easy one to trip up on. Somewhere they must get information on travel plans. Itineraries aren't exactly confidential and secure, though they're not exactly public information either. IIRC it also had the flight going into Dallas and I'm changing in Atlanta so that was another error clue. I suppose it's possible that someone is just making a lucky guess about about date and originating airport but that's a pretty long shot. It really annoys me to have to be more and more suspicious to avoid these frauds.
    "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

I get a couple supposedly from Fedex every month. I open no attachments unless I know the sender personally, but even then...

Comment

It is going around. I suspect it was just a coincidence that you have flight plans. I've been getting one a week for about a month now and it has been well over 40 years since I was last on a plane.

Pops

Comment

Attacks have started here again, Xmas eve was the first (Bad Santa making a delivery ???? ), since then a couple of dozen, mainly Trojan horse including when loading this site . AVG is your friend.
        John

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure , but I'm not a complete idiot - some bits are still missing

Comment

Just heard on the radio (You & yours Radio 4) about a Ransom scam -

you get an oficial looking notice from Metropolitan & Strathclyde Police saying that you have been detected viewing illegal sites and your computer is now locked. You then are told to pay a £100 fine.

A variation is that you get a stream of child rape pictures and are told that if you don't pay the fine you will be arrested. (I had this version a few years ago). Most people would be too terrified to take it to PC World for a clean-up, so pay, and may or may not get it taken off, and may get it happening again soon.

Apparently the police have had 1000s of calls but they reckon a lot of people have paid up. This scam seems to come from Eastern Europe.
          Ba$tards

AVG free seems to sort it out ok

Edit - Radio program link
          Last edited by jugs; 12-29-2011, 10:24 AM.
          John

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure , but I'm not a complete idiot - some bits are still missing

Comment

I'm with Lakeside53, I don't click on links in emails. Even if I know the sender I'll, usually anyway, go directly to the senders web site and look at my account to find whatever they are telling me about.

For certain I don't click on links when I don't know the sender; in fact I usually don't open the email.

Similar are/were phone scams. You don't see them too often any longer but when my credit card company calls, for example, I won't talk to them. I phone them back at the number on the card.

We still get our credit card numbers violated at least once a year, usually more.

Can't be too careful.

Jeff

Comment

Thats why it important to have a pseudonym instead of your real name...any crap is addressed to your pseudonym any gen stuff comes with your real name on the header .

i never put my full name on any forum ..they got me then ..anything with markj isrejected as not genuine for stuff that should be .

and yahoo mail is used for anything not involving money

all the best.markj
              Last edited by aboard_epsilon; 12-29-2011, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X