Old Machine Tapers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Machine Tapers

A few weeks ago a friend gave me a box of old end mills of various sizes. Most of them looked really good, some almost unused. The problem is they have tapers that I have no holders for. They are B&S 5R and 10R and some that are made by Arrow T&R Co. that look to be the same taper as the B&S 10R with the exception of having a threaded hole in the taper end. They must have been held in the socket by a bolt. I guess these are old......... war time?????? I know that in the day most machine mfg.'s had their own tapers so you had to buy their tooling. Not so much the case today since most all tooling are now straight shanked with the exception of morse taper drills and some other stuff I can't think of now.
    So............ since it's not worth the time or trouble to hunt down the appropriate holders for a few of these cutters my thought was to use my T&C grinder to take the shanks down to the nearest fractional size that will give me at least 3/4" of straight shank so I can use them with my R8's in the BP.
    The B&S 5R's have a really short fat taper, they remind me of a small bottle cork with a notch in the side. They would require a lot of grinding to get a straight shank out of them, maybe not worth it?? also they only have a pilot hole in the cutter end and not the taper end so I would have to grab the cutter by the flutes in a collet to gring the shank. I could do that with out a problem. The 10R's aare piloted on both ends so I could do them on centers, but set up is a pain. Best to grab them by the flutes too.

JL.......................

End Mill

I say go for it! You have nothing to lose but a little time.
    Kansas City area

Comment

Post the lot over on the antique section of PM. The guys with machines that use those tapers would appreciate buying the hard to find tooling. Use the money to buy some straight endmills

Comment

Originally posted by WCPenney
        Post the lot over on the antique section of PM. The guys with machines that use those tapers would appreciate buying the hard to find tooling. Use the money to buy some straight endmills
        +1, that was my thought as well- ebay 'em or something, someone will want them.... grinding big volumes of stuff off =
        in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

If my memory serves me right ,I think the taper section is soft enough to turn in the lathe . I know I have done that on some years ago. Run them between centers .
          Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
          http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
          http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

Working...
          X