6" or 8" Rotary Table for SX3 Mill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6" or 8" Rotary Table for SX3 Mill

I have a new Grizzly G0619 Mill (SX3) and I am trying to decide what size rotary table to get for it. I have posted a question in the Third Hand section that deals with a curved profile that I need to mill.

The table is 6 1/4" x 22" long with a max height of 14" table to spindle. So I have read that an 8" table is a very handy size to have, but there is a significant jump in cost, size and weight from a 6" model.

Most of my parts are small and flat so they could fit in the reduced space that the rotary table will leave. I bought a 5" (Cheap) Kurt clone from Grizzly when I bought the mill. I didn't really take notice of the size of the vise when I placed the order and it is huge on the table. The mass has been helpful so I am sticking with the 5" instead of returning it for a 4". Having just bought the Lathe and Mill, my budget won't stretch to a high precision table.

If I needed to work on a larger part, could I make an adapter plate on my lathe? It wouldn't be hardened and ground flat but could be faced off for a reasonably smooth surface.

Any helpful suggestions?

Thanks

Neil

The limiting factor on a mill like that is the table travel, not the table size. From the grizzly site:

Table size: 6-1/4" x 21-5/8"
    Table travel (longitudinal): 15-7/8"
    Table travel (cross): 5-3/4"

I don't think that a larger plate would do you much good.

The 8 inch rotab will give you more room for mounting the part, but it will not change the work envelope. It will also be taller than the 6 inch model so you will lose an inch or so of the Z (height). Easier mounting is often important to me because I am NOT that proficient when it comes to fixtures.

The specs say that the 'swing' is 18 inches. That would suggest that the spindle is 9 inches from the column. That means that you can reach any spot on a 18x18 piece, but since the Y travel is only 5.75 inches you will have to remount it several times to do it. In one mount you can only reach any spot on a 15.875 x 5.75 inch piece without remounting.

Dan
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

On your mill I'd go with a 6" and if I needed I'd make a larger plate to mount in order to work on something larger than the 6" will handle.
      On my BP I use a 6" Horrible Freight rotab. I have a 12" X 12" plate that I can afix to the top for a larger work holding area.
      This table also is equiped with dividing plates.
      I also have a 12 or 14 inch BP rotary table but have never used it as it must weigh over 125#.

By the way WELCOME!!!

THANX RICH

People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!
      People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

Comment

Agreed - the 8" is way over sized for the X3 family of mills - stick to the 6" and a sub-table if needed.
        Tel

Comment

Your parts may be small and flat but the first time you come to use it vertical the 8" table will be a disadvantage.

As Tel says go for the 6"

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

I have a Grizzly X-3 (same size as your SX-3) and bought their 6" H/V rotab with tailstock. The 2 fit and work together very nicely. I made a 10" dia. add-on plate with a bunch of tapped holes to mount bigger stuff.

I'm not happy with the amount of backlash in mine but one of these days I'll look into fixing it.
            Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

It has adjustment for both worm/gear backlash adjustment, which takes all of 15 seconds and also axial worm backlash adjustment, which takes a bit longer.

Phil

Originally posted by DICKEYBIRD
              I'm not happy with the amount of backlash in mine but one of these days I'll look into fixing it.

Comment

Thank you for all the good advice.

I am going to stick with a 6" table.

There seem to be a fair number of import 6" tables on the market. Are there any models/brands/vendors that are better than the others?

Neil

Comment

I have the Grizzly H7527 Rotary table, I've had it for a few years and it has served me well, no complaints about its quality. As a bonus it converts to a dividing head and comes with a tail stock. The only complaint I do have is the manual, there are some errors on the indexing table, e.g. they list 19 divisions as 4 turns plus 4 holes, when it should be 4 turns plus 14 holes. Ask me how I know

Regards.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                  X