How do I straighten this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I straighten this

It's a rod that connects to the wheel that controls the Y axis on my surface grinder.

thanks

Rob

Rob

Probably as quick to make a new one unless there is a lot of detail inside the housing you can't see.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
      Probably as quick to make a new one unless there is a lot of detail inside the housing you can't see.
      2X on that idea.

Comment

If you can't make a new one, what about a counter bore and pin a new section in? It looks like if you try to straighten it you may run into some problems because that keyway (or whatever it is ... perpindicular to the keyway which still has a key in it) acts as a stress riser.

Edit to add: Like others have said, make sure your stub extends far enough and also keep the OD a little large. Then, after you assemble the pieces you can chuck the whole thing up in the lathe and turn it back down to be concentric. It's a pretty quick and dirty trick.
        Last edited by Fasttrack; 12-31-2011, 10:40 PM.

Comment

IF I did have to straighten something like this and I do get plenty of rotors bent this way.

I would not even try to straighten it.
          To be straight you have to be within a thou or whatever runs on it won't be true and trying to get that accuracy just isn't worth it.

In this case I would chuck the shaft up and turn the bend out so the diameter was a mill or 40 thou or so under the OD then build up with weld. When naturally cooled just turn back down to size and put a new keyway in, preferably on the opposite side to where it is now.

This way you can guarantee 100% concentricity.

[Edit] BTW the rotor above was straightened by this method and two new housing fabricated.

The reason it's bent like this is that some one lowered a 100 ton press into position and didn't notice the outboard motor on a machine at the side Oopps

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

To use one of Johns phrases: "Clumsy Bastard!!"

Agree,,, That bend appears a little to severe to straighten.

Comment

I'd say I would vote for making a new shaft. Looks pretty simple and likely only has a few flats to mill and a key slot. That bevel gear should be keyed and set screwed.

If you decided to go with stubbing a new end on it. That would be a good quick and dirty solution. Just make sure you leave ample material going into the shaft. I use the following rule of thumb for NON powered shafts: Step the shaft down by 50% and make it insert into the existing shaft 1.5 times the diameter (this is a minimum, you could go deeper if you like). So for a 1" shaft...make the stub insert .500 diameter and 1.500 inches long. This leaves ample room for two bolts or roll pins if needed. It also leaves the existing shaft wall thickness strong enough to not waller the holes out with time. If you make your plug too big and thin the walls down...any pins you use will turn the holes into slots when torque is applied.

If it is a POWERED motor driven shaft, then I'd strongly suggest you go 3 times shaft diameter deep. You'll need more load support if that shaft is belt driven and motor powered. You really can't stub it too deep really. Deeper is better than too shallow.

If you do stub it, Make sure you maintain a slight press fit when you put the stub in. Make the stub about .001 - .002 too big. Warm the existing shaft with a propane torch to about 350-450F and assemble. Drill and pin. you could use solid pins and tig them in place then dress to finish. It would be nearly impossible to see then.

Comment

John,

Don't you love it when something like that walks in the door? I've had people bring me stuff that is obviously the result of careless behavior. I love to just stand there, scratch my beard....and wait for the stammering and the story to come out. I try my hardest to not say anything until they are done. Just smile...because we've all done something like that at one point or another.

Comment

Problem ? is I get loads of jobs like this.
                  I live in quite a crowded industrial area and word of mouth travels quite quickly. Many of my customers are within a 10 - 15 mile radius, most under 10 miles.

Best thing is I never advertise, no name plate on the shop at all, not even in the phone book, like all the best whores I'm ex-directory

However the crap still comes rolling in, very rare I get a drawing, might get a sketch if I'm lucky or unlucky depending on who's drawn it.

I'm dreading first day back after the holiday, there will be shed loads of broken stuff piled up against the door, no notes and other than some having a job number from which I can recognise the company, nothing on them.

Comment

John it,s no ones fault but your'e own!!

Being such a charming hostess to your'e customers the word spreads fast!!

Good to hear you are very busy though !!!

Comment

Work ethic

Originally posted by sasquatch
                      John it,s no ones fault but your'e own!!

Being such a charming hostess to your'e customers the word spreads fast!!

Good to hear you are very busy though !!!
                      He obviously does very good work or hasn't learnt to say "NO!

Nice to se you actually get out of the shop sometimes Sir John , some customers dont understand that we are only human not a machine.

Michael

Comment

John, fasttrack,

thanks for your suggestions. I've got it apart and I'll just make a new one.

the rest of you, thanks for your salutations and flatulations on John's response.
                        Rob

Comment

Working...
                        X