Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Desperation die filer Act 1 scene1(PICS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desperation die filer Act 1 scene1(PICS)

Well after years of looking for a good die filer and not finding anything I decided to build my own
    http://img1.photobucket.com/albums/0...e/DSCF0009.jpg

I was going to build the entire thing until I was strolling through the scrapyard one day and found two identical Sears coke bottle compressors-
    http://img1.photobucket.com/albums/0...e/DSCF0008.jpg

I built a new piston out of soft bronze and made a table out of a 25 lb barbell wieght-
    http://img1.photobucket.com/albums/0...e/DSCF0007.jpg

I still have to make the flywheel/pulley and a stand/motor mount,but I think it will work ok when I'm done,it has 2" of stroke and I'm figuring on running it at a maximum of 400 spm.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Here's another one. http://horology.magnet.fsu.edu/diefile.htm

Cool looking piece of hardware. I can see a use for that. I'll have to keep an eye out for a compressor.

Comment

Hey Bud, your back yard looks like mine.

Can't wait to see the finished machine.

You say that you have got two of those compressors?
      To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

Comment

time to learn something for today...

so just what is a die filer???

andy b.
        The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

Darin
          OK, you win, you got more stuff in your packrat pile than mine. Sniff, sniff, wish I had a huge concrete lot to throw **** around in...

Comment

Weird, guess you don't figure to tilt the table ever? I keep thinking I might want to with mine, but I never have.

Ken, that one looks like the Metal Lathe Accessories kit filer. S'posed to be a good one.

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by wierdscience:

I still have to make the flywheel/pulley and a stand/motor mount,but I think it will work ok when I'm done,it has 2" of stroke and I'm figuring on running it at a maximum of 400 spm.
              </font>
              Cool,

And "if" it doesn't work you can always use it as an end table for your living room!

Cheers,
              -SD:

Comment

Hah, Weird is maybe a close second if you don't count the cement truck barrel. My stuff is mostly concealed in the outbuildings and barn. The only thing holding me back is the lack of really heavy lifting capability. My goal is to make a monument that can't be easily removed....
                Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

How do you keep the filing swarf from collecting on top of the piston and ruining the cylinder walls?

My grandfather always told me to ease up on the pressure on the backstroke with a file or saw. How do you do that with a die filer? He said it made the teeth stay sharp longer.

Roger
                  Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Guys,guys,thats not my crap pile its the one at work mines much bigger No seriously the crap we have laying around at work would make you drool,if any of you ever come for visit bring a 1 ton flatbed and I'll load you up!

GA,I got two copmressors,one in the picture and one with no crank,welcome to it though.

No I'm not going to tilt the table,I thought about it,but since this is just a rainmaking machine it doesn't need one.Oh for those of you who don't know what a rainmaking machine is,its when you look and look for years for a machine with no luck so you breakdown and build one,then three weeks later sixteen show up at auction for $5.00 each! Works everytime

Keeping the chips out is a problem,I think I can extend the file clamp shaft up far enough to make a seal plate to go around it,if not I was thinking of a rubber bellows like a shifter has on it,heck I could also use that as an air dust blower if its fitted with a flat valve like a bellows.I'm also going to make an overarm support(that way I'll find an Oliver at auction)so that I can use longer files.

For the back cut question,I have no idea,but since I'll be cutting brass it souldn't be much of a problem.
                    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by winchman:
                      How do you keep the filing swarf from collecting on top of the piston and ruining the cylinder walls?</font>
                      You put a sleeve or cone deflector on the rod that carries the file chuck. That does most of it. The rest is regular cleaning.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
                      My grandfather always told me to ease up on the pressure on the backstroke with a file or saw. How do you do that with a die filer?
                      </font>
                      Basically you don't/can't due to the stroke rate. Maybe a filer could be made to do it automatically. But it would "bang" the work when filing and make filing to a line harder by making it vibrate.

Keep eye on ball.
                      Hashim Khan

Comment

If you tilt the working table down very slightly and tilt the file in the holder so it's square with the table, the file will cut better on the down stroke and relieve on the upstroke.

It's a Kentuckey windage thing.

Comment

My turn. I had a jigsaw minus the slding equipment on the top arm that I was going to try making into a die filer. Somehow, in the move back to New Mexico in 95, it never made the trip. Shucks! Drat! anyhow, to answer the gentleman asking "What is a die filer?" Many times a part is made that a lathe or a milling machine simply cannot do all the work, such as a square hole in a part or an odd shaped hole or part, where a file is the only tool that will do the job. OK, make the file powered and save your hands as well as do it faster, ergo, a die filer.
                          Make chips!

Comment

Ah Forrest Addy, then the part won't be square and when you are working inside a blanking die, that is OK below the area that is designed for regrinds to sharpen the die but no good above it. The taper allows the slugs to drop out but taper all the wat to the top makes sharpening invalid as clearances will increase, causing burrs and/or a broken die.
                            Make chips!

Comment

Ah but tinker, I said "slight" a mere thou or three. Clearancing dies is a bit different level of skill than die filer 101 is it not?

Set the file tilted towards the work and adjust the table to square (or the clearance angle) with the work surface. You still have to check angles as you go. Those skinny dies files will deflect even with the end support in place. A wiley old die maker told me he'd rather machine file accurate work with a file having a belly in one side so he could make flat surfaces. Think about it.

The point is to minimize file rub on the up stroke.

Comment

Working...
                              X