Tool gloat suprise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool gloat suprise

Today I went out with the family to pick up the parts I needed to make the diverter valve for my dryer vent. While walking threw lowes I see a cordless porter cable 18v drill exactly like mine sitting on a clearance shelf in the middle of an isle. I kept walking to get the parts I needed for the valve thinking I'll check on the drill on the way out just to see whats the deal. On the way back to the checkout I stopped and picked up the drill. New drill, new battery, "charger missing" was $126.00 clearance $26.00! Brought it home, threw the battery on the charger for awhile and waalaa, perfectly working drill and battery.

When I saw it I figured if all was junk at least the chuck is nearly worth the $26. Oh, plus it had a reversible screw bit in it. lol

Last edited by vpt; 01-01-2012, 07:13 PM.
    Andy

I am now officially green.

Pops

Comment

Great Find VPT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All of us need a bonus find like this once in awhile.

You where in the right place at the right time!!

(Some guy or employee probably stole the charger for his shop drill!!)

Comment

Hey nice score Andy!

Same thing happened to me a while back. Walked into the local Home Depot at 7 AM to pick up a few things for a plumbing project and I noticed a brand new microwave sitting on a table in the appliance section with a $15 price tag on it. I kept walking and thought to myself, what a POS it must be for that price.
        Well curiosity got the best of me on the way out so I stopped by to have a better look. I asked buddy what was wrong with it. He said nothing, it comes with a full warranty, all the accessories are in the box. It's just that we don't carry these anymore and it's the last one, we have to get rid of it.
        Long story short...no more cold snacks in the shop.

Some days it's better to be Lucky than good.
        Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
        Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

See I was so excited I spelled surprise wrong in the title.
          Andy

Comment

AND............... Most of us were SO excited to look at another tool gloat we didn't even notice either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Your comment on the value of the chuck is only close. I dismantled an obsolete 14.4V NiMh Porter Cable drill and discovered that the chuck was a Rohm!
              Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

I have only heard of jacobs drill chucks (personally deemed all others junk). Apparently rohm's are good as well?
                Andy

Comment

One guys review on the drill (found while searching what chuck is on this drill).

http://toolguyd.com/porter-cable-18v...-drill-review/
                  Andy

Comment

Originally posted by vpt
                    I have only heard of jacobs drill chucks (personally deemed all others junk). Apparently rohm's are good as well?
                    Yes, Rِhm is a good chuck also.
                    Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

It is my understanding that a Rohm chuck is a poor man's Albrecht.
                      Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

For that price your not getting a "good" Rohm. They must have a line of Chinese crap now too.
                        The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

Originally posted by vpt
                          One guys review on the drill (found while searching what chuck is on this drill).
                          If its a Rohm, it will say "Rohm" on the outside of the chuck. Many people assume that bc Rohm chucks are optional on many different brands that bc a chuck looks like a Rohm, that it is a Rohm when in fact it isnt. If you had to look it up online, its a knock-off. Sorry.

I do like the rest of the gloat. Not a fan of P-C, but for that price I would definitely learn to like it. Those box store clearances can definitely yield interesting prices.
                          "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

Find the charger on ebay. Nothing wrong with PC; they are a decent drill.

Both Jacobs and Rohm (and others) make "low end" keyless chucks typically found on power drills. I just bought new Jacobs for my 18v Makitas - about $25 online; $32 in my local hardware store. The Makita are/were the same Jacobs 500 series. I also got a new ebay Bosch chuck - no name on it other than a Bosch part number; it is rated for their hammer drills but it doesn't look any better than the Jacobs - I get less then two years from any of this type of keyless.
                            Last edited by lakeside53; 01-02-2012, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Some great deals out there on PC 18V Ni-cad tools. I bought a new 18V set drill circ saw,recio saw,light 2 batts, & soft case for $50. Sold it for $150. It looked fine but I have Hitachi & 6 batteries.Seems like they want all the Ni-cads gone & sell only the Lithium.
                              One feature about the Hitachi I like but have never used is it has a fake battery with a 20'+ cord that plugs into the tool the other end into the charger so if you run out of charge you can keep workong while it charges the battery. Makes it a corded tool. Great idea but it was only sold for a short time.
                              "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
                              world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
                              country, in easy stages."
                              ~ James Madison

Comment

Working...
                              X