OT super 8 to dvd conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT super 8 to dvd conversion

I've got a box of super 8 home movies that were taken by my father. It's time to get them put on DVD before they degrade further.

In doing a local search, there's multiple businesses that offer this service. Anyone have any experience either doing this or having it done? Any specific questions I should ask these businesses to determine whether they are competent/going to do a good job / etc..

I'm not a photography guy at all.

Thanks
    Mark
    Last edited by 67chevelle; 01-02-2012, 04:36 PM.

There are several places on line that will do it for you.

Comment

One thing to remember is that DVD's are not good archival medium. Not the burned DVD's. Ten years is pushing the lifespan.
      How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Mark,
        Do you have a player that you can play the tapes on?
        If you can get a USB digitizer dongle and transfer them yourself, or find a friend to do it. It may be cheaper to by the dongle than to pay someone to do it.
        That and you don't have the risk of them getting lost if you have to ship them off.

I have been doing my VHS tapes on my MAC and its rather painless. you can do it on a PC also. I would not rely on only having then on DVD'd I would keep the master on a USB hardrive.

Dave

Comment

I am doing this right now with my Dad's old movies, I have a working projector, so I am showing them on a white piece of paper taped to the wall, and recorded with a Flip video recorder, then downloading them to my Mac and burning them to a DVD. I know someone who sent some movies out and they were vary dark on the DVD she got back, I think the transfer places don't use high wattage bulbs in there projectors to keep from damaging the film. If you have a projector and a video camera I would try it my self, if not send one roll of film and see how they do.
          Mike
          Brandon MI
          2003 MINI Cooper S JCW#249
          1971 Opel GT
          1985 Ford 3910LP

Comment

It would probably be better to project to a frosted glass screen if you are going to do that. Then you can flip it back in software.

Comment

When I sent my 8mm film to be converted to VHS I was very disappointed. A 40 year old film is still as good as it was back then, but the 8mm frame is not very big. Once it is blown up to show on a 50 inch screen the amount of blur becomes quite noticeable. The faces were indistinguishable on any shot that was not a close up. a close up would be where the whole screen is filled with the torso.

Super 8 was slightly larger than 8mm, so you may do much better.

I sent off 5 reels of 3 minutes each, and they were returned as one reel spliced together. It was too late for me to tell them not to do that.

Dan
              Last edited by danlb; 01-03-2012, 01:53 AM.
              At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

The picture quality will only be as good as the camera that exposed the film. My brother just had all our family 8mm film transfered to DVD. The film was from about 1956 to 1970 and enough reels to pack a large USPS flat-rate box. About 25% were on 250' reels. You could see the change in cameras through the years as my Dad bought "better" budget cameras. The DVDs came out great considering the age of the film and the cameras used.

The place that did our conversion even added music background fitting the scenes. It was great and they did a great job of matching the music to the content of the film. Even to the point of matching the era of the music. (The reels were dated.)

If you're interested, I can get the contact information from my brother. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

By the way, the difference between 8mm and Super-8 is the size of the frame. Super-8 had smaller tractor holes that allowed the picture frame to be larger. The film itself is the same width.

Comment

I had 18 reels of 8mm film transferred to DVD this past spring by these folks:
                  http://www.oldfilm.org/
                  They are a thoroughly professional outfit, even though one would think it unlikely to find such a place in Bucksport, Maine.

As others have said, 8mm, even Super-8, is a very small negative to blow up to any size, and a lot depends on the quality of the camera that was used. You will also inevitably lose something in the transfer process.
                  ----------
                  Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
                  Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
                  Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
                  There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
                  Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
                  Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Working...
                  X