Russian Rocket Danger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russian Rocket Danger

be near a substantial building ...eg multi storey car park etc ..on or around 14th jan

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/s...hit-Earth.html

that's if the tracking shows that its over your county at the time its due to break up.

tracking

http://www.n2yo.com/?s=37872
    #
    all the best.markj

Hmm, that should be interesting. I'll stock up on beer and try to watch the show.
    It's only ink and paper

Comment

Hope it lands in my back acreage, the price of scrap is up to a decent price!!

Comment

I will take my chances. Never in recorded history has there been a person killed or even seriously injured by a meteorite despite the fact that something like 500 to 1000 larger than 1 kilo strike the earth every year. A few more pieces aren't going to change the odds.

Love the headline.

Russia admits failed Mars probe may hit Earth
        Where else do they expect it to land????
        Last edited by Evan; 01-02-2012, 05:51 PM.
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

They said that they will admit it might hit the earth, where else is it going to go.
          The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch
            Hope it lands in my back acreage, the price of scrap is up to a decent price!!
            Unfortunately international treaty requires surrendering the debris back.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
              I will take my chances. Never in recorded history has there been a person killed or even seriously injured by a meteorite ...
              Well now Evan, I distinctly remember, back when I was in my early teens or maybe a year or so before that, seeing an article in "Life" magazine (I believe it was "Life") which included several pictures of a women who'd been hit by a meteorite that crashed through the roof. Included were pictures of the meteorite, which, as I recall was about fist sized.
              (that would've been probably in the mid-late '50s)

Hold on..., just did a google search and Lo and Behold! I wasn't expecting to find anything, but here 'tis. Happened close to home too, right here in Alabama.
              http://www.bautforum.com/archive/index.php/t-14558.html

Oh, pardon me, you said "killed or seriously injured."

But in any event, the google search also returned some other instances which did apparently include fatalities.
              Last edited by lynnl; 01-02-2012, 07:04 PM.
              Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Oh?

"Solly i no speakada russhy".

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                  I will take my chances. Never in recorded history has there been a person killed or even seriously injured by a meteorite despite the fact that something like 500 to 1000 larger than 1 kilo strike the earth every year. A few more pieces aren't going to change the odds.

Love the headline.

Where else do they expect it to land????

Sorry> seems like a BUNCH of serious things happened around a few impacts

http://www.oberlin.edu/faculty/bsimonso/group9.htm
                  "To invent you need a good imagination and a pile of junk" Thomas Edison

Better to have tools you don't need than to need tools you don't have

73's KB3BFR

Comment

When bits of the space lab came down in Australia collectors went to pick up the bits and sold them off, I would be though they may be radio active ? Whilst delivering a boat to Australia a few years back we got caught in a meter shower at night the thousands of rocks/meteors were landing very close you could hear and see them splash and smell them none hit the boat we filled buckets with water in case it certainly was a magnificent sight certainly don,t want to have a 200kg lump hit the house though

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch
                      Oh?

"Solly i no speakada russhy".
                      Neither, russhy, do any of the scrap dealers around here. And the only time they start asking questions is if you got some copper. Copper theft here is bad.
                      So, if the space "junk" (treasure) falls on your property, better to strip the copper and give it to your worst enemy.
                      Cheers,
                      Gary

Comment

I have a couple of neighbors whose homes I'd like to volunteer as landing sites for space junk. Large chunks, preferably.

Comment

That would just make them rich

Comment

...and flat.
                            Mike
                            WI/IL border, USA

Comment

Most of the meteorites that enter the earths atmosphere are no larger than a grain of sand and burn up on entry. Space junk......... well that can be a different story.

JL.................

Comment

Working...
                              X