Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

software offer in my email this morning.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• software offer in my email this morning.

Some of you guys have been looking for some reasonably priced CAD software. I offer this up knowing absolutely nothing about it except that I have ViaCad which suits my needs fairly well. Note the bottom right corner of the box where it says offer code.

If you "know" anything about this software please inform us post haste.
    If you "don't" know anything about this software please include: "I don't know what the hell I'm talking about but I wanted to be seen on a national forum espousing my view". This way we will know how much weight to attach to your post

George, I realize this is pushing it a bit but it is only a 48 hour offer and may infact be of use to home shop guys as it is affordable if it does everything they need. I won't make a habit of posting free advertising here and hope others won't either.

here's the url. http://www.punchcad.com/p-2-shark-fx...sharkfx_010412
    Last edited by Your Old Dog; 01-04-2012, 10:31 AM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

[quote=Your Old Dog]
    If you "know" anything about this software please inform us post haste.
    If you "don't" know anything about this software please include: "I don't know what the hell I'm talking about but I wanted to be seen on a national forum espousing my view". This way we will know how much weight to attach to your post

Happy to oblige -"I don't know what the hell I'm talking about but I wanted to be seen on an international forum espousing my view".

A cheap Shark FX.......sounds fishy to me
    John

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure , but I'm not a complete idiot - some bits are still missing

Comment

I know less than most

This is same umbrella as "Broderbund" and "Punch", oft found in places like Staples, Office Depot software for home/room design, if that makes any difference.

Support forum appears to have minimal traffic, going back to 2007...not sure if that is good (no need?) or bad (no users?)

Comment

Can't speak about Shark, but I won't buy any Punch! software. No matter how much they slap "Professional" or "Deluxe" on the box, I have found it to be "play" software with all of the useful features disabled.

Just because software is expensive, doesn't make it good!

Neil

Comment

Never used it, so I guess I fall into the "don't know what the hell I'm talking about" category, but I would definitely opt out of that "special offer". As a previous reply mentioned, I've been terribly unimpressed with Punch software in the past. I've recently begun using Google Sketchup and I have to say that for the price, it definitely rocks

Comment

I would use the simple rule that if I haven't heard of it, it's probably crap.

For a slightly more objective response, I would check the forums occupied by "real" machinists like at practical machinist or cnc zone and see what they use.

Comment

If you are using SketchUp and haven't found the Reference Card, you need it immediately. It has a raft of neat tricks that apply using keyboard modifiers for the various functions.

http://support.google.com/sketchup/b...=1k2kdjyd5tn1h
              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                If you are using SketchUp and haven't found the Reference Card, you need it immediately.
                Thanks for the tip. I'll be getting back into SketchUp after nine months of inactivity, and this will be a good refresher.
                Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

The price is still mighty high considering the potential of buying...then regretting.
                  "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

I was hoping someone would come along and say it was fantastic but that doesn't seem to be going to happen! I get along okay with Punch ViaCad but then I'm more doodling then anything involved. But engineer is right, $700 for something that "may" work okay and without a track record is pricey, especially when you consider some vendors "give" new software away for introduction offerings?
                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

SOUNDS FISHY.

If you want a great free CAD software try Draftsight. It is like Autocad 2007, all the quick commands work and the dimmentions are easy to use.

Comment

Evan, if your there, it looks like Sketchup doesn't have a Boolean subtraction function for solid modeling unless you buy the Pro version. Am I wrong, if so where is it? Thanks.
                        The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Greetings all.

My first post and I'm here in defence of ViaCAD/Shark
                          I own a copy of ViaCAD Pro v7 and am helping to beta test Shark v8, so I've done a very quick demo video of me making a simple twist drill for your assesment.

http://screencast.com/t/Yi6decA3XFr

Whether you think it's worth the money or not I'll leave to you, but it is definitely worth trying the demo.

I'll just point out that ViaCAD @ $99 is a cut down version of Shark and has probably 80% of the features, so I think it's a bargain. Anyone interested could test the water with it and then work their way up if they like it but needed more features, as it's the same interface.

Please don't be put off trying it because of the Punch! branding - it really is good software and in a different league to their other stuff. It's witten by Tim Olson, who is well respected in the CAD industry.

Martin.
                          Last edited by blowlamp; 01-07-2012, 04:43 PM.

Comment

This might be a dumb question, but.....
                            Can you draw-up simple prints, 2D drawings for parts, and use 3-place decimal dimensions with the free version of Sketchup?
                            Right now I'm still hand-drawing my prints. I'd like them to be more professional looking.

Comment

Martin,
                              When I was looking for a 3D program I looked at ViaCAD, went to their website and looked at what V8 had to offer and filled the form in for the demo which told me I would get a link.

Nothing happened.

Tried again and same think happened, so emailed them and was told they don't have a demo to V8 and the link goes nowhere.

They sent me a link to V7 demo but it doesn't have V8 features.

I contacted them again and mentioned this and got a curt reply that just said the link went nowhere.

At this point I gave up.

I found the whole 3D CAD buying operation fraught with faults and disasters. Many of the demo's didn't match the tutorials and many of the tutorials had missing operations.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Working...
                              X