Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rich Carlstedt
    Doc,
    Coat the magnet with Sodium Hydroxide (Lye/oven cleaner) for a few minutes. The SH will not hurt the iron but will desolve the aluminum.
    Just watch the action and neutralize with vinegar or citric acid.
    Watch the acid on the iron however.
    Rich
    NOT A GOOD IDEA................ costic soda will dissolve aluminum. The process could continu after you think you have wiped the stuff off. It can seep down the sides of the aluminum segments and continue to eat away the segments. Don't worry about a little suction.

JL.................

Comment

Originally posted by Jaakko Fagerlund
      ...He was working on the surface grinder and cursed that the large workpieces get really stuck on the magnetic table when the coolant water gets between the table surface and the workpiece surface.

.... directly lifting them apart is nearly impossible.

You can modify the mag table to prevent it - a few small groves connected to the airline.
      Useful for lining heavy components up - crane onto mag table & remove chains, turn on air (you can move ½ ton with one finger), line up & turn air pressure down, component gently settles into place, switch mag table on, Grind. Coming off is the reverse - no effort or damage.

Edit ; it's like a hover-craft
      John

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure , but I'm not a complete idiot - some bits are still missing

Comment

Working...
      X