Chip breakers for plastic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chip breakers for plastic

Anyone know how to break the chip when lathe cutting plastics that produce long, stringy chips? The "bird's nesting" is a PITA.

If you can, score the work before putting it on the lathe. Or cut a groove in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Griffing
      If you can, score the work before putting it on the lathe. Or cut a groove in it.
      Suggestions for when one is threading, where a longitudinal score or groove would not be desirable?

Pops

Comment

vacuum cleaner right behind the cutting tool, suck the swaff up as its made.
        Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Pretty much forget it.

Depending on the plastic you can get it to chip with enough of a cut and fast feeds. But you really have to be aggressive to do it.

This is what my lathe looked like after doing a bunch of delrin, this was with about 3/4" off in a pass:

IMGP6526 by macona, on Flickr

Comment

What a mess, ya should have taken a more aggressive cut, then you'd only have had half that mess.

mark

Comment

Originally posted by alsinaj
              Anyone know how to break the chip when lathe cutting plastics that produce long, stringy chips? The "bird's nesting" is a PITA.
              You don't. Best you can do is set the right DOC, feed, and chipbreaker to aim the string somewhere convenient.

Comment

Good lord, is there really a lathe under that mess?!

At least it's not too painful to clean up. It won't cut you like a razor blade.

I have never found a way to break the string. I simply try to guide it off to one side of me.

Comment

I seem to have solved the string problem when I switched to a CCGX AL H10 insert designed for cutting Aluminum. It didn't break the string but it no longer piled up ahead of the cutter in a big mess. It shot the string off to the right where it landed in a big pile. One time it was shooting over my right shoulder and landing in a pile on the floor beside me so I put the garbage can there. It just shot right into the can.

Ernie (VE7ERN)

May the wind be always at your back

Comment

Second the shopvac. Works great.

Comment

If you can cool the plastic to below its ductile to brittle transition temperature it should form chips rather than stringy crap.

Comment

Originally posted by beanbag
                        You don't. Best you can do is set the right DOC, feed, and chipbreaker to aim the string somewhere convenient.
                        I always tried to get the swarf to land right in the circular file
                        Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

Originally posted by bob_s
                          If you can cool the plastic to below its ductile to brittle transition temperature it should form chips rather than stringy crap.
                          May be a bit tricky Bob - the Tg (Glass Transition Temperature) temperature of the (probably) 2 most commonly machined Polymers, are -60degC for Acetal and -90degC for UHMWPE.
                          Nylon by comparison is much easier, as you only have to get that below 50degC.

Comment

Liquid nitrogen

Comment

Hello,

+ 3 on the shop vac. Works great !
                              Toolznthings

Comment

Working...
                              X