Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nanotubes and quantum physics

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/5/35405.html

How something smaller than the wavelength of light can transmit and retain its coherency brings up the posibility that we know even less about the nature of wave and particle physics than we think.

I am titilated with goosebumps!

This could mean that there might be a way to pack horendous amounts of data into crystals - holographic memory if I may be so bold.

so are they saying instead of the lightwave moving as a wave in a plane, it is moving as a wave around the surface of a cylinder? very cool. i wonder how small of a cylinder they can get the wave to fit around?

andy b.
    The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

Very cool.... More work for us computer types, it looks like... Can do all kinds of neat stuff with this... including machining on a nano scale... like a little bitty plasma torch...

--jr
      dvideo

Comment

Store bits on atom electron spin, up spin a one, down spin a zero. Old idea, not yet implemented. If they do then think on this:

If an atom were the size of a marble then the number of atoms in a marble is the ~number of marbles that fit in the earth.
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

E'gad(s),

And to think I was impressed with Toshiba(s) little 2GB and 4GB .85" dia. by .13" high hard-disk!

Cheers,
          -JW:> )

Comment

How is the light attracted to it, to make it travel along it and not through or over it? Do they mean that at that level light is viscus. You can tell you're not dealing with a physicist here.

Comment

Saw a bit on the boob tube (new semi relevant meaning) the other night about driving a spacecraft with a laser. They made a small pendulem out of unobtainium and directed a megawatt laser beam at it. It swung in the photon wind.

Comment

Never work. How they gonna put a UPS sticker on 'em?

Let me know when they make a replicator so I can feed in an old brochure photo of a G&L 340 T and it spits out the real thing complete with a load of atttachments.

Comment

Not quite on that scale but Princeton and HP are working with PEDOT polymer (transparent, conductive) that can pack 1Mbit per sq mm or 1GB per 1cc block. Writes like a cd.

Has any one else read about the UPS being built in Alaska to provide a 15 minute backup for the whole electric grid? Provides the crossover time needed to bring the backup generators online.

"The BESS passed two critical benchmarking tests in December when it produced 26.7 megawatts (MW) of power for 24 minutes, exceeding the guarantee of 27 MW for 15 minutes. We set a world record when we tested the upper limits and produced 46MW for 5 minutes."

http://www.gvea.com/projects/bess.php

Now if APC would sell one for my computer.

Comment

Can you imagine how much smaller the probes will become that do internal exams on arteries . Possibly reaching into the visual cortex of the brain and returning eyesite or even jumping the gaps on severed spines to regenerate impulses from the brain. Fantastic.

Comment

Yeah, but does this mean we will get back real chocolate milk?

Comment

No

Comment

Seems to me we're still working with tools and ideas that are larger than atomic diameters. I think there's a new world of physics that begin at subatomic diameters, and frequencies/wavelengths that correspond to these ultra-small dimensions. We'll probably find that the shortest wavelength we know of now, or can measure now, will be the very longest of waves in this new dimension of physics. A thought I had the other day, we see that reception and transmission of radio waves becomes more efficient at higher frequencies. Of course, this hinges on our ability to create electronics that can work at higher and higher frequencies, so it kind of qualifies as an infant technology. What if, within the structure of a dna molecule, there exists pre-defined dimensions whereby a reception can occur, reception of an as-yet unknown type, possibly cosmic, and I'll stretch here to say possibly cosmic consciousness?! After all, it seems that so much is just a matter of 'tuning in'. We just may yet find out we are a heck of a lot more 'connected' that we ever have thought, and we could be on the verge of finding a scientific proof of that. Of course, we'll still have our propensity to disqualify what it is we don't understand, and we'll remain our own worst enemies. It's incredible, we can now not only print the entire brittanica on the head of a pin, we can almost do so on a nanopin, but we still can't seem to get a handle on the most crude of human behaviors. Tittillatelepaphic, man!
                          I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

I mentioned this before somewhere, A researcher from IBM recently gave a talk. He did not go into proprietary specifics but he did state that based on the work that IBM is doing he sees no fundamental limitation based in physics that would curtail the advance of computers according to Moore's Law for at least the next 30 years. Meaning, that in thirty years the equivalent to todays desktop computer will be two to six million times more powerful than now.

Comment

I know a little about these things, so I will try to explain this.

Light is an electromagnetic wave, much like a radio wave, only at much higher frequency. Because the frequency is so high it is usually more convienient to talk about the wavelength. For visible light this is something like 300-700 nm (that's billionths of a meter), or arount 20 millionth of an inch. Yeah, that's a fifth of a "tenth". That's why the finish gets so shiney when the finish is so fine and smooth. The finish is getting near the size of the light being reflected.

Materials have two properties that affect electromagnetic waves: the magnetic permeability and the electric permitivity. When an electromagnetic wave crosses a boundry between materials with different properties, the light is refracted, or bent. That's how a lens works. Or when you stick a pole in the water it looks bent where is passes through the water surface.

The fibers in the article have different properties than the air around them. The light wave is constantly rebent to follow the fiber.

This is actually not too different from how a copper lead wire conducts a radio wave to your radio. The wire is thin and the radio wave is long, but it conducts right down the wire anyway.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                              X