• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is one I made.

Alan

Comment

This chap made one, and very interesting it was too:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K3Vo...eature=channel

We also had quit an 'interesting' discussion about it on here some 4 years ago
      http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=31710

Comment

[QUOTE=J
        The real question is what way gets a better grinder? (Unless you like building machines, of course.)

1) build from scratch

2) buy used and refurbish.

3) Buy griz etc....

[/QUOTE]

Your point that I deleted is very well taken, but you forgot

4. Buy a used machine that you dont need to refurbish.

Ive seen many shops that have had really nice grinders which were rarely used but well maintained and accurate for that occasional job.

I also recently placed a "joke" bid on a Doall 618, one of the best small grinders IMHO, that had been professionally rebuilt/painted for the military yet was actually never stored outside. Governmentliquidation.com sold it for ~$180 in what could be considered perfect condition. I kicked myself thoroughly when I realized I missed the closing of that auction by a few hours.
        Last edited by justanengineer; 01-08-2012, 09:23 AM.
        "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

Impressive projects, thanks for posting those!!

Comment

Originally posted by tdmidget
            Surface grinders do not turn 10,00 RPM. This could only be for an ID grinder.
            True enough, but of course it does not "have" to be spun that fast, that is just what it is rated for. This was likely used for a diamond dicing saw used cutting glass or silicon wafers. The wheel end is 1.25" diameter so would be a bit large for an ID grinder. I only tossed the offer out as it would offer someone building a grinder of any sort a set of very nice bearings as a base for starting a build. Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by justanengineer
              Your point that I deleted is very well taken, but you forgot

4. Buy a used machine that you dont need to refurbish.
              Not applicable.....

If it was still good they would keep using it!

There is ALWAYS some problem, the key is knowing if it's a big one or a little one.
              CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Commercial shops don't always sell off machines just because they've worn it out. Probably more-often it's a case of they need the room and don't use it much, or needed a bigger/more-productive machine.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers
                  Not applicable.....

If it was still good they would keep using it!

There is ALWAYS some problem, the key is knowing if it's a big one or a little one.
                  Not true,
                  I've seen plenty of perfect machines go for peanuts because some idiot in a suit made a dumb decision
                  John

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure , but I'm not a complete idiot - some bits are still missing

Comment

Originally posted by jugs
                    Not true,
                    I've seen plenty of perfect machines go for peanuts because some idiot in a suit made a dumb decision
                    hah....

Suits SCRAP good unused tools and machines, because it is easier to take the tax writeoff than try to sell them.

Mebbe YOU got a goodie from a corporate source..... I'd bet a good deal of money that out of 100 available items "out there", maybe 2 or 3 of them at most fit your description..... the rest have "something" wrong with them.

BTW, "suits" are idiots, in general.... agree 100% with that as regards business decisions. As regards decisions on how THEY are gonna run off with all the money, well, they do quite a bit better at that part.

Originally posted by PixMan
                    Commercial shops don't always sell off machines just because they've worn it out. Probably more-often it's a case of they need the room and don't use it much, or needed a bigger/more-productive machine.
                    Yeah, but WHICH one they get rid of is usually the one that works the worst..... they don't usually keep worn-out and sell the best.
                    CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Working...
                    X