No announcement yet.

What Drill Press for Metalworking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

btw ..on the quill at the side there will be a stud with a locknut on it .

this takes up the slack ..but in practice ..you have to leave it loose or the quil gets tight at different positions in its travel ..so useless device.

here's what replaced mine ..best £100 i ever spent...table winds down so that there is two feet of clearence..rough cast finish was probably because it was a "war-finish" machine

all the best.markj
    Last edited by aboard_epsilon; 01-07-2012, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Sorry for the typo. It IS 135°! The Mastercraft drill bit sets are APR 18 years old and seem to be of good quality. I have a 135° split point 1/16-1/2" by 64ths cobalt and a 118° H.S.S. set. I can't afford high end tooling at this stage. I'm trying to buy items that will do a good job and are cost effective. In this day and age, that usually means Chinese. Some of their stuff is actually quite good although sometimes it's a crap shoot. Look what happened with the King drill press!

Comment

Originally posted by Mermaid
        .................................................. ............................................

I can't afford high end tooling at this stage.

.................................................. ...........................................

Over time most of us have figured out we can't afford anything but high end tooling.

Comment

Originally posted by aboard_epsilon

.................................................. .................................................. .............

all the best.markj

What operation are you doing with the upside down drill chuck?

Comment

epsilon,

Now that's a drill press and quite a buy for 100 ponds.

Stan

Comment

Originally posted by Mermaid
              3) The table could not be set square to the spindle axis (i.e. square to the column viewed from the side). I had to install a 0.006" shim behind the top of the table support arm to square it.

IIRC, some drill presses have the table angled upward so when you're really pushing a drill hard, the deflection of the table from the down force gets you about perpendicular to the spindle.

The early-80's vintage Clausing DP we have at work is set up this way.

I'm not nuts about it because it means that when you're using small drills, your holes aren't going to be straight. It's also somewhat obvious if you're using the machine as a second op setup for countersinking holes. One side of the hole winds up with a larger chamfer than the other.
              -paul

Comment

Originally posted by DR
                What operation are you doing with the upside down drill chuck?
                its just a weird drill chuck ..its like that ..it was built like that

and awkward to use ....you have to put the bit into it before you put the thing into the mt2 quill...if i can remember right.

all the best.markj

Comment

Working...
                X