Oil problem for Grizzly Lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil problem for Grizzly Lathe

Just a short intro. I am of the opinion oil is cheap compared to machines, hence I have replaced most of the ball oilers on my machines w/ cup oilers. I decided to change to some visible tube oilers on my Grizzly G4003G lathe. I had to take the cover off in order to drill & tap some holes and discovered there is a third oil hole under the cover with no way to oil it without removing the cover. I called Grizzly and got a call back confirming my discovery. The cover must be removed and ground or milled in order to have room to get an oil can in to lube the fitting. Removing this much metal opens up the space but creates a cavity that I am sure will collect swarf, that is the reason for the protective plate. The pictures should explain the entire process. Might take 2 posts for pictures.
    thanks
    ed

Continued

Comment

I like it!
      "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

Holey crap!! I have had the 4003G for about 6 months and never knew an oil port was there. I just took the cover off and gave it a liberal oiling. Thanks for the tip, I will be milling that sucker out soon.

Comment

how does the oil jump from the outside cover to the inside cover

where exactly is the the oil hole your faciltating access to.

all the best.markj

Comment

Are the visible-tube oilers shop-built or commercially produced? What is the source if the latter?

Got a G4003G myself.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. I have the same lathe and will check that out. Is there a reason that cover couldn't be left off?? Also would it be possible to drill a hole in the cover and access the oil port that way?..I'm asking because I've developed a lazy streak..

There is another oil point on the gear train side a lot of people aren't aware of. Have to take the cover off to access it. I solved it with a piece of brake line tubing and a small notch in the cover. I'll take a picture when it warms up a tad.
              Last edited by moe1942; 01-06-2012, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Here's an oil port I've found a lot of folks are unaware of and my mod. Don't have to take the cover off to oil. Also found the oil port the OP posted about. I can get to it with a flexible spout. I will see if I can find a small tube and run it from the port outside the cover.

Well I found out I don't know how to post pics...

I went to the Grizzly manual on their site and it shows all three oil ports but before the cover was added..
                http://cdn0.grizzly.com/manuals/g4003_m.pdf
                Last edited by moe1942; 01-06-2012, 02:11 PM.

Comment

aboard epsilon: It does not jump, you slide the alum. piece back.
                  tlfamm: shop made
                  moe 1942: You could leave the cover off but I think if you do a lot of cutting that cavity will fill w/ swarf. I did the same tube trick for the oil port under the end cover when I first got the lathe.
                  When I called Grizzly they had a person go on the floor & remove the cover because I do not think they believed me, that there were 3 holes to oil

Comment

im not talking about the mod youve just done ..as far as i can see it jumps from the brass ones...the ones with "oil nipple" written under them .. to somewhere ...where i dont know .

all the best.markj

Comment

There is a protrusion on the inside of the cover that mates w/ the holes in the gearbox. Sorry I misunderstood your question. If you have a G4003 and remove the cover all will be revealed.
                      thanks
                      ed

Comment

Don't feel bad, I had the same question, seemed funny to put an oiler on a cover.......

Originally posted by aboard_epsilon
                        im not talking about the mod youve just done ..as far as i can see it jumps from the brass ones...the ones with "oil nipple" written under them .. to somewhere ...where i dont know .

all the best.markj

Comment

According to the manual at Grizzly the early model G4003 didn't have that cover. Then they extended the length of the spindle/headstock and added the cover as filler.

Life thanks again for the heads up..

Comment

Posting pics for moe1942

Comment

I'll bump this up in case it got buried..This is a forgotten, important oil point just like the one the OP pointed out

Comment

Working...
                              X