OT: Fixing my dishwasher!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Fixing my dishwasher!

Our dishwasher quit dispensing the liquid soap. I checked all that I knew to check. hoses, fuses, wire connections, make sure soap container had soap....no luck.

Called the service people to come out. He came and looked at the machine and I told him what problem we were having. He lifted the door and took a small piece of what looked like sandpaper from his toolkit. He wrapped it around a small black little rod sticking out at the bottom and gave the paper a couple of twists.

Closed the machine and hit the start button. Presto...soap is dispensing. He said it was just a bit of calk built up on the sensor so it couldn't get a reading. THen he suggested that my wife should decalk the machine............I turned pale.

Remember the coffee machine fiasco when she decalked the boiler

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

My dishwasher never has problems with soap.

When there isn't enough, she just puts more on the sponge.
    Vitَria, Brazil

Comment

Got a bunch of dirty dishes in my sink, and my dishwasher is going to be really "Pi##ed if i don,t get them done before she gets back!!

Domestic harmony must prevail.

Comment

I bet you say that about your wife here but I wonder how brave you would be if she was reading over your shoulder? Ha Ha!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

With the threat of being "Decaulked" any man would speed up the process of keeping the dishes done on a regular basis!!

Comment

A REAL repairman would have disassembled something, made a big deal out of it, and charged you $200.

This guy is a fraud.
            Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Comment

When I saw the title I instantly thought of your coffee maker and was thinking the calk/white stuff.

I assume you have well water? Do you have lots of iron in your water by chance?
              Andy

Comment

I always thought it was Lime in well water that turned things whitish and caked them up?

Iron as far as i know produces brown deposits like a rusty colour.?

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch
                  I always thought it was Lime in well water that turned things whitish and caked them up?

Iron as far as i know produces brown deposits like a rusty colour.?

Thats correct, I was just curious about the iron because well water sometimes is high with iron and can cause problems too.
                  Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest
                    I bet you say that about your wife here but I wonder how brave you would be if she was reading over your shoulder? Ha Ha!

I just had her read it. She said she knew it would be something like that. But I'm safe, after so many years she has gotten used to me.

P.S. She says to tell you that she really does only use her rolling pin for pies.
                    Last edited by davidwdyer; 01-08-2012, 10:36 AM.
                    Vitَria, Brazil

Comment

THen he suggested that my wife should decalk the machine............I turned pale.
                      I always wonder whether about the accuracy of Google translate.

I 'decaulk' our machine every once in a while with CLR which is concoction of 3 acids for Calcium, Lime and Rust. Throw 1/3 of the bottle in and run through a cycle. Then I clean the holes in the spray arms. It is amazing the stuff that has been released within the tubing and has collected in the holes. I redo the CLR again, clean etc. It is amazing the difference it makes.

If it is the other translation don't do it.

Comment

We have lots of lime and iron in our well water. Actually spring water. If a toilet doesn't get flushed in two days the water is a rusty color.

This repairman didn't charge me for coming. He said he had another call not far away so it wasn't a wasted trip for him.

I don't know the correct term in English or German for getting rid of the stuff that blocks everything in anything that heats water.

As to the rolling pin....watch out...she is setting you up.

Comment

I don't know the correct term in English or German for getting rid of the stuff that blocks everything in anything that heats water.
                          We'd probably call it "lime", which is incorrect..... However it could be a form of limestone, some carbonate material, or whatever the local form of "hard water" carries.

"Hard water" has dissolved "minerals" in it.

For sure I have no clue what to call the material "auf Deutsch".... I don't speak it with anyone around here, and so I have "lost" most of the words, and gotten rusty on grammar as well as noun genders.
                          CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers
                            We'd probably call it "lime", which is incorrect..... However it could be a form of limestone, some carbonate material, or whatever the local form of "hard water" carries.

"Hard water" has dissolved "minerals" in it.

For sure I have no clue what to call the material "auf Deutsch".... I don't speak it with anyone around here, and so I have "lost" most of the words, and gotten rusty on grammar as well as noun genders.

noun genders..........I would like to dig up the guy that invented the German language and kill him again! Der Die Das is my downfall. The fact that the grammar changes according to the gender......it is not easy for a non lingually gifted person such as me!

Comment

its called "kalk" and the procedure of getting ridd of it is "entkalken". however i never do that, your supposed to "entkalken" your boiler every other year, but mine has been fine without it for 30 years or so.

Comment

Working...
                              X