Encountering genius

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Encountering genius

Driving home last night on a two lane highway outside town with the radio down low, the cruise control on 55 mph, having a conversation with the wife. We are on a long straight stretch of the highway where there is no lighting. No one behind, no one in front, and no oncoming traffic either. Something impacts the back of the car, slightly lifting it, with no warning and with such force I lost my mind for a couple seconds.

We didn't see or hear anything until the impact. No lights, no nada. I hate to admit it and I never thought I would, but I was actually screaming in fear. Not knowing what the hell was happening was terrifying. One thing that popped into my mind was that aliens swooped down, shocking us unto submission before the abduction. I coudn't think of a sensable explaination.

After a few seconds, realizing we are still alive and on earth, I start to slow down. But I wasn't stopping because I wanted to get away from whatever the **** just "happened" back there. I pulled over a few hundred yards later, called 911, gave the location assuming there was a vehicle back there. How the hell it got there I could not fathom.

After a minute, a truck pulled up behind and the approaching man told me what happened. I went to the back of the car to take a look.

http://s717.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=P1170004.jpg

These photos were taken the next day of course.
    Roland
    Last edited by rmcphearson; 01-17-2012, 08:05 PM.
    -Roland
    Golf Course Mechanic

Bedminster NJ

Your'e picture no workee!!

Comment

So what happened?
      Link doesn't work.

Comment

Oh no the link doesn't work! I can barely stand the suspense!
        Max
        http://joyofprecision.com/

Comment

So, what hit you? The guy in the truck?
          Stuart de Haro

Comment

Link works for me. Somewhere off the road next to where you were hit there's a twisted motorcycle with a badly injured or dead rider. Came up behind and probably never saw you.

Comment

Originally posted by Optics Curmudgeon
              Link works for me. Somewhere off the road next to where you were hit there's a twisted motorcycle with a badly injured or dead rider. Came up behind and probably never saw you.
              After a hit like that a motorcycle might have gone big-time airborne and landed a few hundred yards more ahead of where you finally stopped. I'd guess he didn't pack a parachute.

Comment

Originally posted by hornluv
                So, what hit you? The guy in the truck?
                Heck no. A space alien mistook your Lexus for one of its own kind and tried to couple (mate) with it, with less than stellar results.
                A close encounter of the sixth or seventh kind.

Be prepared for a paternity suit.
                Last edited by Rosco-P; 01-17-2012, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Perhaps he failed to tell us he had the car in reverse at the time??? I'd imagine on a Lexus, the cruise control would also work in reverse...

Comment

One thing for sure something died.
                    Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
                    http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
                    http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

How the hell can you make a post like that without following up with an explanation!?

Comment

If you look at his original post, he did come back several minutes later and edit it. Musta fixed his link.
                        Looking at the rest of his posts, the answer to your question may become self evident.

Comment

I see lots of cars tooling down the road with no taillights, any chance the fuse is blown? I can picture some two wheeled rocketeer going 100 or so into what he thinks is emptiness and kaboom! (I was one of those rocketeers once, and can see how it would happen).

Comment

Willing to bet the white Lex is leased, so owner would have no idea a taillight was out until the "baby" was taken in for service (or they were pulled over and ticketed). He states that he didn't even get out to assess the damage until a trucker stopped and encouraged him to do so.

Comment

Its a Lexus. Somewhere there is a homeless old lady pushing a shopping cart with a small scratch on it. Kidding.

A similar story happened to a friend a few years ago. He was driving the NYS thruway at 2 am on a Friday night, cruise on 65 to avoid troopers, and was rear-ended by a drunk "business" lady in a rental car hard enough to total his Tacoma despite the token redneck black iron water pipe rear bumper.
                              "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

Working...
                              X