Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Starbucks from shipping containers

http://realestate.yahoo.com/promo/st...container.html

"...The now-one-of-a-kind drive-thru/walk-up Starbucks coffee outlet off Interstate 5 in Tukwila, WA, which opened Dec. 13, is constructed from four modified shipping containers, including one 20-foot container and three 40-foot containers."

Saw a show on how an apartment building was made out of shipping containers. Prefabbed in a factory shipped to the site and bolted together.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Not really "one of a kind" here is a whole mall from shipping containers , includes 2 cafes

http://www.restart.org.nz/christchur...ake-a-look.php
      My neighbours diary says I have boundary issues

Comment

Just south of me about 30 miles there is an apartment complex under construction using the shipping containers.

Heard a report that the containers are piling up and being sold off due to there being SO MUCH ship loads of containers arriving from "Off Shore".

Costs too much to ship them back empty.

Comment

Interesting...can just see the cost of those used containers going up and up...I've always been interested in buildings constructed slightly off the common path but it also brings up the question of how many municipalities (as they are most often deciding local construction regs) will allow such structures to be built because its not a common/accepted method?

Or how many extra hoops does one have to jump through (or how long to wait) with such methods?

Comment

Russ , the apartment complex being built here, ran into a lot of delays at first with the building code, and was actually shut down once, but was sorted out and appears to be back on track now.

Wondering if these containers could be used/converted into a workshop.

They are great storage buildings for things one drags home.

Comment

My thoughts too...I suspect perhaps the easiest way to "avoid" the hassles, except the first time, would be to do some sort of "conversion" within a factory of sorts, like the pre-fab homes. From what I have seen/heard it is the controlled nature of said factory that can make it somewhat easier for inspectors/regulators to accept new ideas in construction [there is another inflate, spray with concrete, remove form, that I'd love to see and or try...]

Comment

I drive by there frequently (Tukwila) and have never noticed it. There' so many containers stacked around South Seattle though that it wouldn't stand out. Lots of places buy them to use as storage sheds. There's one parked next to right of the school bus in this google street view of my neighborhood.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=98007&...03.31,,0,-6.86

Comment

i am looking into a container work shop. I have been to several homes and work shops made out of containers. there is a whole movement revolving around these things. I kind of like the purposeful nature of them. they even come in 10' tall versions.

Comment

Anybody know the inside ceiling height of these things?

The 10ft height would be good!!

Comment

Possibility too here for these things to be built into a side hill for a partially underground home,/shop, or even a root cellar for food storage.

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch

The container I have is an ex-refrigerated one, the insulation is great but there is some loss of head room but I can still stand easily inside and not knock myself on the light fittings. I am 5'11" in the old measurements.

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch

My boss bought what's known as a "High cube" container,8'6" inside height x 40',paid I think $2200 delivered.

One of our customers also bought one along with the carrier.He leaves the container latched to the carrier in his yard.Inside is his shop(he services Oceanographic buoys) he had me build a 1ton monorail hoist inside the back 20' section.
                          The 6"I-beam rail is able to be extended out the back doors by 6' allowing the hoist to lift things outside so they can be brought into the container.Once inside the load can be set down,the beam repositioned and the load picked and moved further in as needed.
                          When he goes ship board he hires a semi to bring it to the dock and then loads the container on the ship.
                          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Mobile site shops

Originally posted by wierdscience
                            My boss bought what's known as a "High cube" container,8'6" inside height x 40',paid I think $2200 delivered.

One of our customers also bought one along with the carrier.He leaves the container latched to the carrier in his yard.Inside is his shop(he services Oceanographic buoys) he had me build a 1ton monorail hoist inside the back 20' section.
                            The 6"I-beam rail is able to be extended out the back doors by 6' allowing the hoist to lift things outside so they can be brought into the container.Once inside the load can be set down,the beam repositioned and the load picked and moved further in as needed.
                            When he goes ship board he hires a semi to bring it to the dock and then loads the container on the ship.
                            There are quite a lot of workshops built into steel containers around here ,they are secure and easliy modified .
                            I have used one recently at a new drill site , it was fitted out with a lathe , mill and benches , Grinders were in a 10 footer to keep the lathe and mill clear of abrasive material ,storage was lockable to stop items falling out during transport.
                            Materials were in another 40 footer specially set up for their common requirements .
                            When they move site its just lock everything up , no loose items and pick each up with a crane , then place each on the trailers , couple up the prime mover and the whole lot moves as one roadtrain to the next site.

I use a twenty footer for long term storage .
                            Michael

Comment

I've never had nor never will have a starbucks coffee.
                              Andy

Comment

Working...
                              X