mostly OT - Reading forum, software?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mostly OT - Reading forum, software?

Had issues with my old computer so I got a new laptop a couple of weeks ago. It has windows 7 and internet explorer 9. When reading the forum, I click to read new posts. Some times it takes me to the first new post and other times it tkes me to an old post. It does seem to be somewhat consistent. Each time I check Evan's thread about the dog not going out, it takes me to post 15. Is it Explorer 9 or some mishandling of cookies, or what? Any ideas?

No idea. I used Explorer 9 for about three minutes which was plenty long enough to download Chrome. I don't like chrome all that much but IE9 is much worse. I have IE8 installed as a backup when Chrome has a hissy fit.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by ulav8r
      Had issues with my old computer so I got a new laptop a couple of weeks ago. It has windows 7 and internet explorer 9. When reading the forum, I click to read new posts. Some times it takes me to the first new post and other times it tkes me to an old post. It does seem to be somewhat consistent. Each time I check Evan's thread about the dog not going out, it takes me to post 15. Is it Explorer 9 or some mishandling of cookies, or what? Any ideas?
      Its IE9. I finally got sick of it doing the same thing and switched to google chrome. Problems solved
      Ernie (VE7ERN)

May the wind be always at your back

Comment

I don't like using Explorer, but it's on my computer by default. If I have someone over and they use the computer, I nearly break into a hissy fit when I see them click the icon or should it be Too many problems come up with Explorer- seldom with Chrome. To me it's a no-brainer-
        I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

I use Explorer 9 and have no problems on this or any forum. It's a fine browser, no matter what some say

Damn, got suckered into yet another browser flame session

Comment

I have had no problems at all with IE6, 8 and 9 from W2K and XP to W7.

I have no need to tweek or tune my computers - so I don't.

I am not and never have been nor will I be a power user.

The computer is always waiting for me - never or rarely the other way round.

I am a solid set and forget user if its OK.

Comment

I have the same problem. It only happens on a couple of threads, and only on this site. I'm using IE9 and Vista, but as I mentioned, this doesn't happen on any other forum sites.???

Comment

It even happens occasionally with my iPad.
                Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

only on here...

Comment

This problem is pretty widespread and I have had dozens of questions about it. So far, I have not been able to duplicate the problems on my work or home boxes (IE 8) but I know there are problems.

The most likely reason for the troubles is the age of our forum software; it’s getting to be pretty ancient. We hope to purchase newer software sometime this year. I’m sure it will help to clear up a lot of the problems we have had in the last year or two.

George
                    George

Comment

Don't improve it too much. I've seen other sites that became more difficult to navigate because of all the whizbang bells and whistles that appeal to clever programmers. Keep it simple.
                      Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                      ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

IE9 has been reported to be having all sorts of oddball issues. Chrome or Firefox is a viable alternative. I use Chrome with Win7, no issues whatsoever here.

Comment

When reading the forum, I click to read new posts. Some times it takes me to the first new post and other times it tkes me to an old post. It does seem to be somewhat consistent.
                          That problem started for me back several (6-10) weeks ago when there was a major issue with this BB; can't recall what that issue was. No problems prior, but it's been constant since that time.
                          Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

While Google Chrome is certainly gaining in popularity, Firefox has been my main-stay for years and don't have any problems with the forum software (vBulletin) used here.

Give FF a try !

Mike

Comment

I have used Explorer, Firefox and Chrome.

I prefer Chrome, no matter what anybody else says, and I am an expert on what my opinion is.

Firefox has gotten to be something of a resource hog, that's why I jumped to Chrome.

HTH

doug

Comment

Working...
                              X