Looking for info on press.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for info on press.

This is a press on C- list. The owner doesn't know any thing about it. Just wondering if any of you guys have seen one and know how many ton it is?

Been a little while since I calculated any hydraulic pressures, etc. But if I remember correctly:

1) calculate the square inches of the end of the ram inside the hyd cylinder

2) multiply this by the highest pressure capable of the power pack

3) divide by 2000

This web page may be of use: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/hy...or-d_1369.html

Comment

I have a 10,000psi power pack but I wouldn’t dare put it on this press without knowing its designed working presser. I think 3,000psi would be safe will just have to look over the fittings real good for a schedule 40 black pipe fitting snuck in there. I like using this calculator.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/techhe...name=hydraulic

Comment

Boy, you sure dont change the working clearance in the blink of an eye!
        Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

I like it!
          "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
          world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
          country, in easy stages."
          ~ James Madison

Comment

No substitute for an arbor press, limited width between the uprights, no simple height adjustments. Does it have a pump or power unit? I'd pass on it, unless it was nearly free and I needed a smallish punch press for a repetitive operation.

Comment

A small punch press is the plan and hopefully some forming projects. I got a cheap H frame press for the nasty work. He’s asking 500$ for the press with pump!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rosco-P
                No substitute for an arbor press, limited width between the uprights, no simple height adjustments. Does it have a pump or power unit? I'd pass on it, unless it was nearly free and I needed a smallish punch press for a repetitive operation.

I agree, looks like something someone cobbed togather. The base does however look to be from an old arbor press. If you insist on buying it offer him scrap price for it.

JL...................

Comment

IMHO that is a die fitting press, its for checking and fitting the shut off areas, usually for injection molds.

Comment

Jeremy,

Isn't that the power pack for the press in the pic, the blue object partially hidden by the press? That's what I was referring to in step #2.

Stan

Comment

Originally posted by duckman
                      IMHO that is a die fitting press, its for checking and fitting the shut off areas, usually for injection molds.
                      What he said.

Comment

Ok two votes for a die fitting press. I’ll go with that. Next is how powerful is it? Like I stated earlier I want it for a stamping press or die cutting press and some small forming operations. On copper and aluminum no more than 2” OD and .125 thick. I really like the T slot tables. The press is about a 5 hour drive just to go look. So I’m trying to gather as much info as possible to determine if it is worth the trip.

Comment

How many tons do you need? Your words, "seller knows little about the press", wouldn't it be simpler to find an used OBI press that would do the job?

Comment

Working...
                          X