Coated Abrasive Belt Lubricants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coated Abrasive Belt Lubricants

This stuff is a sort of grease that you rub on abrasive belts ..grinding belts etc

supposed to stop the belts clogging and add extra life to the belts.

http://www.formaxmfg.com/coated-abrasive-grease-sticks

Just wondered, if you are sanding wood on belts covered in this stuff ..weather it would effect the finishing stages of the wood ...meaning varnishing etc ...would it leave a residue on the wood that stops varnishes adhearing to it.

all the best.markj

I would supect any product you put on the belt to conaminate the wood to some degree, the question is how much.

When polishing my whitest maple pens, I had to make special maple bushings, because when polishing with steel bushings the steel oxides would rub off into the polish and smear over the ends of the pen.

That said, for wood use, Consider using a sandpaper eraser instead.
    Aka Crepe block.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...92&cat=1,42500

Just a quick touch on a moving belt and it SUCKS all the debrie out like magic, And the block itself wears very slowly but it wears JUST fast enough that all the gunk and debrie gets stuck into and falls off with what wears. It also refuses to stick to the sandpaper itself, and more likes to stick back on the block, so you don't have to worry about contamination.

If you find your belt cloging up badly on a certain type of wood, consider there are other types of belts, And that the wood might be just too moist.

The grease stick URL you posted seems to only mention them being used for plastics and metals and glass (Surfaces where contamination is typicaly not a big issue as they don't asorb it and can be cleaned with solvents if need be)
    Last edited by Black_Moons; 02-01-2012, 08:39 AM.
    Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Mark, a lot of the Mirka papers, certainly finer grits used for de-nibbing and finishing have a coating of Lanolin I think. I use a lot of this stuff and can't say I've had a problem with finishes however 99% of my stuff is done with oil based finishes.

Have a look at the AG woodcare site, I think they have a forum now as well.
      West Sussex UK

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons
        .................................................. ...
        That said, for wood use, Consider using a sandpaper eraser instead.
        Aka Crepe block.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...92&cat=1,42500

Just a quick touch on a moving belt and it SUCKS all the debrie out like magic, And the block itself wears very slowly but it wears JUST fast enough that all the gunk and debrie gets stuck into and falls off with what wears. It also refuses to stick to the sandpaper itself, and more likes to stick back on the block, so you don't have to worry about contamination. ..........................................
        I find this stuff helps the belts last for a long time. The theory is that when the belt loads up it heats up and that is supposed to cause the glues to loose the holding power. Keeping the belts clean prevents this. It only takes a second or two to touch up a belt with this product.
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

I've been trying to find out

The stuff i bought was from a uk company ..they say it's a mixture of tallow animal fat and vegetable fat.

They say its sold to the metal working industry ..they dont know anything about the results on wood.

all the best..markj

Comment

Will the eraser things remove aluminum bits stuck to the belt?

Comment

Working...
            X