Brown & Sharpe #2 Universal Milling Machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brown & Sharpe #2 Universal Milling Machine

I just came across a forties model Brown & Sharp #2 Universal milling machine. It has been sitting outside for @ a year so it is not in great shape, but it looks to be complete and important parts seem to turn. It has horizontal and vertical heads and the X axis appears to rotate (??). It looks like an interesting restoration.
    Does anyone have any knowledge about these machines, what to watch for, etc?

Oh yeah, anybody know what this beast might weigh?

Randy
    Last edited by randyjaco; 02-01-2012, 07:28 PM.
    Do yourself a favor and see if your TV carrier has America One News Network (AONN). 208 on Uverse. It is good old fashion news, unlike the networks, with no hype, bias or other BS.

How do you know its from the 40's? B&S made several vastly different #2 horizontals through the decades, so a picture would be very helpful to identify the particular machine you found.
    "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

I am guessing the forties from the research I have done so far. I have no pictures yet. I stopped on a lark and the more I think about it the more interested I am getting. I was just sitting out on the parking lot with a tarp over it. it has 3 motors, so it can't be really old.
      I really don't need a new project

Randy
      Do yourself a favor and see if your TV carrier has America One News Network (AONN). 208 on Uverse. It is good old fashion news, unlike the networks, with no hype, bias or other BS.

Comment

If it has multiple electric motors, and not simply driveshafts driving table feeds you may indeed be correct on the 40's, tho likely late 40s or 50s. Im guessing it also has dual overarms and either a 40 or 50 taper spindle? If so, those are pretty nice machines and might be worth restoring if nothing has been crashed too hard.

I was actually offered one of those free a few years ago, but had to turn it down due to lack of space.
        "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

Working...
        X