Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does This Guy Realize What He's Doing???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does This Guy Realize What He's Doing???

I ran across this vidio while searching for some info on scraping.
    It looks like this guy has his router / way grinder mounted to the saddle which he's sliding back and forth down the bed grinding on side of the V.
    What about the ends of the bed????? don't they count. Look at the closup of the ways and you can see the scalp marks from the stone. Reminds me of what the surface of a board looks like after I run it through my planer.

JL.................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NGEQFJdmo4

Yeah, he does. If you read the text he's preping it for Moglice, which he called "moglass".

Comment

Never saw the text below....... but still, I'd never do it.
      Is Moglice like Devcon, or some polymer???

JL.................

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee
        Never saw the text below....... but still, I'd never do it.
        Is Moglice like Devcon, or some polymer???

JL.................
        Here's a link to Moglice http://www.moglice.com/stfscorerepair08.html

BTW, I certainly would not want the lathe after he is done.

Comment

Here's the associated PM thread, http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...grinder-225515 worth a look. Looks like a clever idea.

Comment

Originally posted by tdmidget
            Yeah, he does. If you read the text he's preping it for Moglice, which he called "moglass".
            You put moglice or turcite on the female side (the saddle), not on prismatic ways.

He posted this about a year ago on PM, and the end result was a couple of thou along the bed. He said that it ended up a lot better than he received it.
            "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
              You put moglice or turcite on the female side (the saddle), not on prismatic ways.

He posted this about a year ago on PM, and the end result was a couple of thou along the bed. He said that it ended up a lot better than he received it.
              Correct. I wouldn't put it on the ways but that is what he said. With a little more effort he could have had the ways acceptable. The error of the machine is the variation of the ways spread over the length of the female ways of the saddle. So if the ways were good to .001 and the saddle was 12" long, the machine would be good to .00083 per inch. Not too bad.

Comment

Agreed -- I think if he tightened up his setup a bit, he could get a lot better results. A toolpost grinder instead of a router, a bigger, coarser, open-grained wheel...
                "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

I really admire the guys that build a sled and have the time and dexterity to regrind and scrape their own ways...one day I hope to be so talented.
                  "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

I'm of two minds on this. On one hand I admire his approach and execution, its fairly well thought out for what it is.

On the other hand, reconditioning a machine tool is such an intense marathon, I could never see starting with a foundation with so many compromises. And if the bed is that bad, for sure all the other bearing surfaces will need the full monty...and THAT is so much work imo you better end up something somewhere past awesome, not just that its an improvement.

I guess that the experimenters first comment, next time I'll send it out, sort of sums it up.

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
                      Agreed -- I think if he tightened up his setup a bit, he could get a lot better results. A toolpost grinder instead of a router, a bigger, coarser, open-grained wheel...
                      Putting an outboard bearing on the setup he had would have eliminated much of the chatter.Still a lot of work though.
                      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
                      X