Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ID mystery objects please

got some things to id
    the first is some sort of adjustable motor mount .. its about 10 inches x 8 inches

view from underneath ..it's a very presice mechanism that moves it over 1/8 of and inch for 2 inches travel of lead screw ...feels very well made.

Second item is some type of motor ..stepper maybe ..
    no markings or id on it ..theee pins on the plug..but only two wires come out of the plug ..no idea what voltage ..nothing its about 2 x4 x 3 inches

sugestions for alternative possible uses welcome

all the best..markj

Last edited by aboard_epsilon; 02-02-2012, 10:55 AM.

The small motor thing looks like the headstock for a small lathe. Meant to plug into a power supply. The three prong plug is for keeping polarity correct.
    Gene

Comment

What does the tag on the green thing say?

Comment

I'd hazard a guess that the first item is used to give variable speed with a constant speed electric motor. Motor pulley is spring loaded on one side so as the tension knob is tightened or loosened the center to center of the drive and driven pulleys changes and the one half of the pulley can move in and out against spring tension giving a variable diameter pulley. The angle of the slides should match the angle of the pulley so the V belt is kept in alignment.

Last edited by Arcane; 02-02-2012, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Arcane ..youre probably right

mini lathe

had a look

and this is the closest

http://www.lathes.co.uk/emco/page21.html

http://hobby.uk.com/power-tools/unim...rive-unit.html

all the best.markj
          Last edited by aboard_epsilon; 02-02-2012, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Do you know what the worst thing is .

i paid a £1 for that motor drive unit

I now realise, that i picked up and examined the rest of the lathe...which was in its component form ..just looked like bits of plastic extrusions to me ..spread out in other areas of the car boot stall....no way did it look like a lathe to me

2 weeks ago ./..will be very lucky if the guy turns up this Sunday ..and he still has the other bits and peices....crossing fingers.

all the best..markj

Comment

That green mounting base is a nicely made unit!!

Thanks for posting these very interesting objects.

we need a "What the Heck Is this" thread.

Comment

Mark,

I had one of those Unimat lathes in my hands a few years back, it was brand new. And about the nastiest thing I've ever come across. Plastic slides that jump & jerk, handles too tiny to wind - really, I couldn't think of a single use for it. I tried checking for burrs / plastic casting flashes, lubricated it, tried adjusting the slides, waste of time.

Too insensitive for anything small and accurate, too sloppy for anything bigger. The bed, headstock & cross slides slip out of alignment, hopeless. Probably best used for gathering dust on a shelf somewhere.

If you meet the guy again, give him the headstock back...

Ian
                All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

if i can find the rest of it ..it will fetch a kings Ransom on ebay ..that's what I'm thinking ......well......... should get at least £50 for it .

all the best.markj

Comment

Would the headstock be any good as a toolpost-mounted milling attachment for a real lathe? on the lines of the 'Quickstep'? Or is it too flimsy even for that?

Tim

Comment

The motor is quite stout ..the black bit on it...that looks like plastic isnt ..it is thick alluminium.

Technical Specifications:
                      • Voltage - 12 Volt.
                      • 12 Amps Max.
                      • 66 Watts Max
                      • Built in Ventilator
                      • Normal Speed 12.800 rpm
                      • Motor Cover made of Zinc Diecasting and is a Split Shape for Easy Maintenance
                      • Ball Bearings are Sealed Pressure Lubricated Industry Ball Bearings - Maintenance free.
                      • Gearbelt is 8mm thick, Glass Fibre Reinforced.
                      • Motor Housing Continuous Cast, Anodized Aluminium.
                      • Gearwheels Transmission Ratio 4.8 / Spindle Speed 2.666 rpm
                      hmm collet hold £1.15 and assorted collets £8

quite cheap
                      Last edited by aboard_epsilon; 02-03-2012, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aboard_epsilon
                        The motor is quite stout ..the black bit on it...that looks like plastic isnt ..it is thick alluminium.

Technical Specifications:
                        • Voltage - 12 Volt.
                        • 12 Amps Max.
                        • 66 Watts Max
                        • Built in Ventilator
                        • Normal Speed 12.800 rpm
                        • Motor Cover made of Zinc Diecasting and is a Split Shape for Easy Maintenance
                        • Ball Bearings are Sealed Pressure Lubricated Industry Ball Bearings - Maintenance free.
                        • Gearbelt is 8mm thick, Glass Fibre Reinforced.
                        • Motor Housing Continuous Cast, Anodized Aluminium.
                        • Gearwheels Transmission Ratio 4.8 / Spindle Speed 2.666 rpm
                        hmm collet hold £1.15 and assorted collets £8

quite cheap
                        That 66 Watts might be the stumbling block, you wouldn't cut much metal with that. Maybe tiny endmills would be OK.

Tim

Comment

If it was kept within it's limits it would work just fine.
                          Gene

Comment

Just had a peep inside ..has the same motor as battery drill

all the best.markj
                            Last edited by aboard_epsilon; 02-03-2012, 08:34 PM.

Comment

I had one of those Unimat lathes in my hands a few years back, it was brand new.
                              Are you sure it was a Unimat? I have a very old one, the DB200, and it is a very nice little machine when used within its limitations.

This is it with a 1/2 hp variable speed DC motor transplant.

It turns steel using a carbide bit quite nicely.

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Working...
                              X