Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

buying direct from CHINA

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • buying direct from CHINA

    Most of the hobby equip is made in China anyone here besides me done that or care to hear about my experiences, some bad some good. tom

  • #2
    I'd be interested in hearing about your experiences.

    I briefly considered trying to contact the manufacturer of an imported
    tool about purchasing a replacement part. Although I located contact
    information, I ultimately elected to make a replacement.

    I have noticed that several members here purchase from DealExtreme.
    I bellieve that is sort of like buying from China.

    .

    Comment


    • #3
      A huge amount of the china product on ebay is direct shipped. I've bought a few things - no issues at all.

      Comment


      • #4
        I've bought some stuff directly from Hong Kong (CTC), the prices were good, and delivery was very slow. I got what I wanted and the quality was good. One order took about 8 weeks, the others were in 2-3 weeks. I don't know if I would ever order from them again, for me the delivery was the deal killer.
        jack

        Comment


        • #5
          I considered buying a Sieg SX4 mill and made an enquiry on their website, when it became clear there was no agent in my area they offered to deal direct and there seemed to be no issues for them to do that.

          But I bought something else instead when I found there was quite a lead time on the SX4.

          Comment


          • #6
            CTC shipped to me here in New Zealand within a week.

            Comment


            • #7
              I realize this is not quite the gist of your question. But, it seems to me that if you have some money to spend and you're trying to get your hands on a piece of gear, why don't you spend locally? Excellent quality American-made used products are going begging, from what I understand. Are you sure you really want to send more money overseas, to support the China economy at the expense of the US one?

              And I know how contradictory that sounds, since I live and work in China and depend on (mostly) the export market to support myself. If I could buy used American quality here, believe me I would. I must make do with what's available locally, which is acceptable for my modest means and my even more modest skills. So in that regard, I am using my dollars to vote by supporting my "local" economy. Maybe you should consider the same. Just my opinion.

              But without any question, only choose a brand that has a US-based sales and rep office at least. A Chinese mfr., selling to you directly, is an invitation to be ripped off.

              Comment


              • #8
                I was recently searching on eBay for a small electronic device . I found some, but they were all shipped directly from China. I was not comfortable with sending any of my PayPal or credit card information to China, nor did I feel that there would be any practical way to return the item if defective. I decided to haul out my boxes of old electrical junk, and make my own device.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by grannygear
                  I realize this is not quite the gist of your question. But, it seems to me that if you have some money to spend and you're trying to get your hands on a piece of gear, why don't you spend locally? Excellent quality American-made used products are going begging, from what I understand. Are you sure you really want to send more money overseas, to support the China economy at the expense of the US one?

                  And I know how contradictory that sounds, since I live and work in China and depend on (mostly) the export market to support myself. If I could buy used American quality here, believe me I would. I must make do with what's available locally, which is acceptable for my modest means and my even more modest skills. So in that regard, I am using my dollars to vote by supporting my "local" economy. Maybe you should consider the same. Just my opinion.

                  But without any question, only choose a brand that has a US-based sales and rep office at least. A Chinese mfr., selling to you directly, is an invitation to be ripped off.
                  Buying used american vs new chinese really does nothing for the economy. Buying new american does. But for many things, like small lathes, there is no american counterpart so it really does not matter.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I have searched for suppliers in China , most are like any manufacturers , they will sell direct if you purchase by the 1000, or continuos monthly orders for a couple of years .
                    This is not for mickey mouse items either , spindles ,chucks, machines.
                    I have found like some others that you can get good products from China ,Korea and sometimes even India.
                    Japan used to be the source of "junk" now its regarded as a decent manufacturer of high tech equipment .
                    Given time these countries will be as good as or even surpasse the europeans and US manufacturers as most companies are now only interested in "Profit for shareholders" , service to customers is fast becoming a rarity with many .
                    Time will tell .
                    Michael

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      In many years of EBay buying, I recently lost my PayPal money the first time. The item had a listed shipping date window which extended past 45 days. When it did not arrive I realized that claims for non-arrival have to be filed within 45 days of the purchase date.

                      It wasn't much money and the seller is no longer active. About 20 feedbacks were posted complaining of non-arrival of items.
                      Don Young

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I disagree Jerry.

                        Buying used keeps the money in our economy, vs sending it (even a small part) overseas by buying imported.

                        You're not changing the fact that no one's making hobby machines here, but you are impacting the amount of our currency that leaves our shores - and that does matter in the big picture.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by macona
                          Buying used american vs new chinese really does nothing for the economy.
                          I think those of us that make our living dealing in used equipment (as my father did for 30+ yrs) would disagree.
                          "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Bill736
                            I was recently searching on eBay for a small electronic device . I found some, but they were all shipped directly from China. I was not comfortable with sending any of my PayPal or credit card information to China, nor did I feel that there would be any practical way to return the item if defective. I decided to haul out my boxes of old electrical junk, and make my own device.
                            Defective items can be returned at a reasonable shipping price by USPS BUT the Chinese Govenment prohibits the mailing of many electronics items including cameras etc so if you try to return a defective item the Chinese customs rejects it at the border and you get it back.
                            "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel"

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              my CHINA purchases

                              I have purchased many items from CHINA mostly because there is no real supply of good used US or CDN made equip here in ALBERTA. The first purchase I made was from riverweld equip when I first decided to downsize my welding equip, I sold my older mig welder and miller stick welder and bought a wse200p from riverweld, I was so impressed with it I purchased a 60 amp plasma cutter, was very impressed with both so bought all my consumables from them as well. My next big purchase was from a crook at SHANXI YUANG HANG MACHINERY, I purchased a RONGFU 45 clone with indexing table, 8 inch rotary table, vise, ER 40 collet set with 3 axis DRO all this delivered to CALGARY for $3200.00 a good deal you have to prepay for equip like this when you order. The problem with the deal the crook only shipped to Vancouver BC and it cost me an extra $500.00 to get it home from there and when it got here it was the mill I ordered except instead of being an ISO30 quill it was MT4 (all the tooling I purchased was MT4), he did not send the vise or the 8 inch rotary table and he refuses to complete the deal as ordered. I would recommend people not deal with him. My next purchase was from an equip mfr (one of the best in CHINA) particularly from a young gal named JENELLE email [email protected], I wish I had found Timeway and her first as she was a pleasure to deal with. I purchased a new 12x40 lathe with DRO installed, all accessories including taper attachment, extra faceplate, qc toolpost as well as 10 inch vertical+horzontal table, 200 mm 3jaw chuck for the rotary table, 5C spin indexer, 2 sets of v blocks with clamps, quick change chuck set and a couple other items. All this delivered to Calgary AB for just over $4000.00. I received everything I ordered and the lathe is excellent all the controls are smooth, in my estimation it is much better than the SUMMITT toolroom lathe I bought new in 1982 for about $6000.00. If anyone inquires of Timeway make sure you tell JENELLE that I gave you her name, I will be a repeat customer as soon as I sell my RF45 I intend to buy a larger machine from her. I have bought many items from CTC tools as well and have never been disappointed I am in no hurry to get things as I am getting my shop ready for retirement but that won't be for a few yrs so shipping time is no where near as important to me as quality and price. I don't know if I can post attachments but will try to post brochure on my lathe. tom

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X