What is your favourite tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your favourite tool

Not your mill or lathe but your small support tool. This goes along with the thread about a tool you thought you would never use but do use.

The tool that everytime you use it you feel good.

Mine is my 3D Taster. It makes aligning and locating on the mill really easy and fast.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

My rafter square seems to be used on every project. I have both a 6" and a 12" version (multiples of each actually). I like the ones with deep markings because when combined with a scribe, you can draw a nice even line a given distance from the edge of your material.

Comment

Lately my favorite tool has been a scraper. This is simply a flat piece of steel about 6 inches long and 3 inches wide. I sand both ends flat on the belt sander and use it to remove the sharp edge on doors, drawer fronts- anything we do at work which involves taping edges with pvc tape or plastic laminate. The taping machine trims the tape nearly flush with the surface, but then I wisk the sharpness off the edge with a few quick passes of the scraper.

With the laminate I router the edge, but have to stop short or it'll take the color off the adjacent laminate. With the scraper I can remove the sharp edge quickly, then trim the edge flush without leaving a mark. There's a knack to it, but it works well for me. I only use a file where I really have to. This has become my favorite tool for working with laminate.

In my home shop, I use several different scraper-type tools for various deburring operations. Some I use at the lathe for quickly rounding over sharp corners, others are specially ground for creating small grooves- usually markings to guide a hacksaw blade for cutoff. These ones usually are made with a guide on one side, and the mark is thus made the same exact distance from the end of the workpiece each time. Some of my scrapers are actually used to scrape flat surfaces- usually pvc though, not often metals, but sometimes.

I make these from sections of bandsaw blade I scrounged from my local friendly metal shop.

At work I saw a piece of a saw blade standing in a cobwebby corner. It looks like it was a two-man swede saw blade at one time. It's about 4 inches wide not counting the teeth. To me it looks like about 50 various scraper blades-
      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

I love my air powered nailer. I don't have the arm strength or grip to pound nails but the air nailer is awesome. I don't use it often but when I do I love every minute of it. It also saves more time on the intended job than about anything else with the possible exception of using explosives to dig a ditch.
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I will give you two, my belt grinder and my tractor-skip loader. I could have never envisioned how useful and how much use these two tools would get. I rescued the tractor and built the grinder and it always makes me smile at the unexpected usefulness and luxury of having and using them.
          Do yourself a big favor and even if you already have a bench grinder and a belt sander, get or make yourself a good 1HP+ belt grinder. You just can’t believe what they will do.
          The Massey Ferguson is optional.
          Have fun with it, Mike
          Last edited by mf205i; 02-03-2012, 04:33 AM.

Comment

Power nailer. Yep that is a great tool. Makes short work of putting up barn boards. My other favorite is a impact wrench. When I have to change a tire on my tractor it is a real blessing to not have to use a X wrench.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

I wasn't going to post this but seeing as someone mentioned tractor skip loader I reckon this is then OK.

The all ally frame was designed and built by your yours truly with ally welding help by my BIL. Hence I named it the BIL mill.
              This tool has exceeded my expectations by much more than any other tool I own or have used.
              It's loud, dusty and gives the operator a nice workout but it is a lot of fun to use and to make.
              I enjoyed making this one so much I have made 3 more since.
              Last edited by BobL; 02-03-2012, 04:26 AM.

Comment

I prefer not to comment on my favourite tool...I showed it to a woman once as I thought she might like it, but she was totally disinterested in it.... I guess it was smaller then she expected...

But I really like touching it and even though it has a bit of age on it, it is smooth to the touch..

Of course it is my 0-25mm Tesa micrometer...
                Precision takes time.

Comment

My most appreciated tool is my Jet 4x6 saw. Prior to buying this saw I cut steel with a hacksaw.
                  Gary

Comment

Originally posted by .RC.
                    I prefer not to comment on my favourite tool...I showed it to a woman once as I thought she might like it, but she was totally disinterested in it.... I guess it was smaller then she expected...

But I really like touching it and even though it has a bit of age on it, it is smooth to the touch..

Of course it is my 0-25mm Tesa micrometer...
                    Good thing she didn't ask if was to measure length or diameter!

.RC I am glad you didn't say your paint gun because that is my least favorite of your tools!

Comment

My rotab/indexing head, I do a lot of rotary milling and odd numbered indexing, the rotab is indispensable.

Steve.

Comment

Mitutoyo digi calipers. ...if you don't have them it is time you did
                        "...do you not think you have enough machines?"

Comment

Got to be a 12" crescent wrench. I wear about 1 a year out.

Comment

My most favorite tool? The bandsaw, I don't know how I got anything cut strait and done right before it. It makes otherwise impossible to get right cuts to easy perfect cuts every time! Cut right down the middle of that weld? No problem! And it cuts all by itself! Set it up and sit back and watch or go work on something else till its done doing its job. Besides my lathe nothing else has made me as happy to have it like the bandsaw.
                            Andy

Comment

This is going to sound stupid. Back in the '80s at a flea market I bought a clean used Starrett 6" combination square. I have used that thing thousands of times since then. It's my "go-to" layout tool. Accurate, fits the hand, the rule's markings are still clear, sharp and legible, and overall I seem to hold it in a very special regard way in excess of its value.

metalmagpie

Comment

Working...
                              X