Gear cutting book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear cutting book

What is the name of the book and author on gears and gear cutting that everyone says is the best one out there? It's alleged to be the holy bible of gears.
    It's only ink and paper

The Ivan Law book might not be the Bible, but it explains gears and gear cutting for the HSM in basic terms.

http://www.amazon.com/Gears-Gear-Cut.../dp/0852429118

There are undoubtably other books available that delve much deeper into the subject, but the Law book is probably the best starting place.
    Jim H.

Comment

Carld, I don't know if this is the "bible of gears", but I have the 'Gears and Gear Cutting' by Ivan Law which is the #17 of the Workshop Practice Series. This is a very good book and has lots of info.

Tom

Comment

^^^ What they said. If you find a better one, let me know.
        "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

Google the "Machinery Repairman 2 and 3" published by the US Navy as it has an excellent section on gears & gear racks. BTW its available as a PDF so you can get it for free and print only the sections you need.

Comment

I have the Ivan Law book (very nice), but also found the Fellows Gear Shaper Co. involute gear treatise helpful too:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fellows-Inov...item27b7986604

Fellows also has a treatise on internal gears. This one is a bit pricy, but there are other copies for less:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fellows-Inte...item27b40be22a

Good luck,

Bob

Comment

Practical Gear Design, Darle Dudley.

You asked for the bible... That's mine.

Comment

Yes, Ivan Law is the one I was thinking about. I had a book I like but Ron wanted one and I couldn't remember what it was.

Thanks everyone.

Oh, I figured out what I was doing wrong on the Logan screw gear more on that later.
                Last edited by Carld; 02-03-2012, 05:05 PM.
                It's only ink and paper

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Stan
                  Google the "Machinery Repairman 2 and 3" published by the US Navy as it has an excellent section on gears & gear racks. BTW its available as a PDF so you can get it for free and print only the sections you need.
                  Thanks for this title.
                  Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Gill
                    Thanks for this title.
                    You're welcome. BTW, it was our "textbook" when studying for the MR3 and MR2 tests when I was in the Navy.

Comment

The two I use are Dudley and Ivan Law, both mentioned above.

Comment

Where the Law book scores is that gear cutting is based on hundreds of mathematical formulae, many to do with the shape and production of the hob or cutter.

This is something we on the using end have no control over and Ivan glosses over this in an attempt to keep it as simple as possible.

If you want to get serious into gears then the range of books by Earle Buckingham had go to be some of the most diverse, however none of his books are bedtime reading

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

FWIW, I found that UK vendor "The Book Depository" had a thorough
                          selection of new copies of the 'Workshop Practice Series' of books on
                          hand at favourable pricing and they offer free shipping to North America
                          and other world destinations.

Comment

Busy Bee Tools carries most of the series.
                            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                              Busy Bee Tools carries most of the series.
                              At more than double the price charged by TBD.

Comment

Working...
                              X