Enco tapping head auto reverse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enco tapping head auto reverse?

Got the 20% off email from Enco and was about to pull the trigger on their tapping head http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...PMAKA=291-5011 instead of the much less expensive Grizzly one thinking it would be better quality. BUT, the catalogue blurb says reversible not reversing. Anybody seen one or can tell me if it reverses direction when you pull up on the quill handle? Kinda looks like it will do left or right hand threads but doesn't auto reverse?
    Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Tapping Head

In this case reversible means it will do left hand threads which most heads won't do. A tapping head would be pretty useless if it didn't reverse so I'm guessing it does. A call to the mfg. should clear up the question.

Comment

Please post what you find out. I haven't had the need (yet) but it would be interesting to know if there was a way to get my reversing tapping head to do left-hand threads.

I'm imagining either

A. A much more expensive tapping head with a switch on it like the one on the ratchet in my socket set.

or

B. A "technical bulletin" that describes how you can open up the tapping head and configure it to go backwards. (and possibly void the warranty )

Either of the above would be really cool if the need arose...

-M
      The curse of having precise measuring tools is being able to actually see how imperfect everything is.

Comment

I emailed their tech dept. and will post back with the answer. The catalogue blurb also doesn't mention adjustable torque settings or stops but surely it has those?? We'll see what they say. I hate to take anything for granted!
        Milton

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Wow, awesome service from ol' Ernie in Enco's tech department! Sent me a scanned .pdf of the manual in less than 45 mins.

Yep, auto reverse, adjustable clutch and everything you'd expect in a tapping head.

The instructions don't mention any special procedures on doing reverse threads so I guess you don't do anything other than swap spindle direction.
          Milton

Comment

Working...
          X