OT, another Canada Post Gripe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT, another Canada Post Gripe

Went to town today to mail off a package to one of the members. The post office wouldn't accept it because the box was to small. Can you believe it? I'm going to need a dozen news papers to fill up space in a box that they will accept. It's no wonder that UPS and other such outfits are getting more popular. I guess that I will have to look into them in the furure.
    To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

The Canadian Post Office trucks are not rusty from the winters are they?

Maybe if it is below a specific size they worry it will fall through one of the rust holes in the truck. :-)

Comment

Were you by chance sending to the States We have run into that lately. They say the US will not accept pacels under a certain size. I have not had that problem with parcels or envelopes with in Canada or Europe yet.

Comment

Don't knock the PO [either country]as compared to UPS they are always better and cheaper. My experience. I was enthusiastic about FedEx because they didn't charge "brokerage" fees over the border, like UPS...until, months after the fact, I started recieving brokerage bills from them. Worse than UPS, at least they are up front about the ripoff.

Comment

I think the US has a minimum size. They charge more for parcels under 6" long, or 3" high, or 1/4" thick. I put 2x2x2 in the rate calculator and it took it. Ends up cheaper to send it Priority Mail than by Parcel Post; $2 less. What size was your package?

It has to be large enough to put a label and postage on it. If it's smaller than that, put it in a Flat Rate envelope and send it Priority Mail.

Comment

I got a package in the mail the otherday and across the bottom there was a bar code about 5" long,kinda looked like the ones they use on the bottom of a check,thats probibly it.Either that or there not big enough to use as wheel chocks
            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Is it true that to mail something to Texas it has to be the size of a large Cow?

Comment

All packages must be at least the size of a football, as it keeps the lads in shape. This according to "Roll'm Away Ray," our UPS guy. What has Brown broke for you???
                I'm here hoping to advancify my smartitude.

Comment

Jim
                  UPS and Fed-Ex BOTH charge brokerage between the US and Canada. Fed-ex is $15.75 + Taxes, UPS is $35Min+ Taxes. Canada Post is $5.75+Taxes - if they decide to charge duty. UPS does not charge Brokerage on Red Label Air service though.

Comment

US postal service has generally a erroneous bad rap. I recently shipped a 66 lb pkg, rates were 44 bucks from Post Office over a 100 with UPS. They got to the destination from IL to TX in 3 days with parcel post rate. Its fun to knock the post office but if you think about it you can drop a letter in the mail box in Maine without even talking to a agent and a few days later get it in California for 37 cents. Try that with UPS, with your next Valentine card.
                    One of the things that does get me is when they do lose money, we the taxpayer have to make it up. So in reality we are subsidizing the service with taxes. That is where the debate should be not with the service. Service is pretty good.

Comment

Have to agree that both postal services are excellent. In our case, how far could you drive with that .48 cent letter? A while back Canada Post was looking for part time help. Dropped my application off late afternoon in a box outside one of our last remaining post offices and they called next morning around 9:30 AM to go for an interview! Can't beat that and it had to go across town and was probably sorted a few times.

Comment

So Chester, may we presume that you are now set for life?

Comment

"Is it true that to mail something to Texas it has to be the size of a large Cow?"

Certainly not! We take parcels as small as a goat!

On the subject, I"m currently in a tiff with FedEx-tra. Tracking shows delivered but signature is not from this location. Package DID NOT arrive here.

Comment

Al-- If you mean am I now a smiling member of CUPW making $20 +++ per hr, the answer is no. Their expectations on hours were just too restrictive......on call but you better be there every time they call, or else!

Comment

I sent a ring made from steel to a lady in Canada. Canada Post refused to accept it until I told them what kind of machine it fit. I told them it was jewelry. Second try, it got thru.

I mail mother of pearl and some other precious materials to Canada from the states, and it seems to take forever to get there.

Now I save things up and when I go home to Valleyfield, I drop the packages in the mail there.

Jerry

Comment

Working...
                              X