Metabo bench grinder opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metabo bench grinder opinions?

I seem to recall seeing some info on Metabo wood working tools several years back, but never really payed that much attention to it. I'm still looking for a grinder that won't shake my shop apart with the vibration, but don't have the budget for a Baldor. Was looking at grinders on Amazon last night and stumbled across the 7" Metabo, model DS 175. The specs sound good, and the spindles are the same size as standard surface grinder wheels. Anyone use or own one of these, and are they worth the near $200? Thanks.

Dave

Don't know about what level of vibration but that's usually a wheel balance thing rather than being caused by the grinder.

I do however know that every metabo I have ever come across have been pretty much bomb-proof, they keep going with rough use such as being rental tools or being used in shops where there is a lot of grinding dust etc. flying around.

I have never heard anything bad about them when it came to build quality or durability..........

Comment

I found a virtually new 8" Baldor on Craig's List for the same money. You may want to use a CL search engine to see what's available.

Comment

MM, the vibration in all cases (3 or 4) was bent shafts on the grinders. PLUS bad wheels, but the combo was enough that it wasn't something I wanted to own. All went back. Thanks for the feed back on Metabo, I had an impression that it was good stuff, but I've never had any direct experience with it.

Dr. Stan, CL would be a great option if I lived in Seattle, but I'm about 5 miles PAST the middle of nowhere, here. Great place to live, but not so good when it comes to buying stuff from the usual sources. My back porch is full of empty Amazon.com boxes. The closest CL city is Wenatchee, and that's still an hour and a half away. And most of the time they don't have a damn thing I'm looking for, anyway :-). Later, and thank you both.

Dave

Comment

Metabo is pretty respectable, but you have to realize that you will get what you pay for- this is a small, lightweight, home shop tool, not some industrial model.

heres the Metabo tear sheet on these grinders-
          http://www.metabo.us/fileadmin/metab...h_Grinders.pdf
          they look quite light- 32 lbs- and not very powerful- 500 amps is not a big motor.

an average 4 1/2" hand grinder is close to twice the horsepower of one of these.

A big hand grinder, like a 7" milwaukee, can easily be 3 times the motor.

Comment

Originally posted by daved20319
            Dr. Stan, CL would be a great option if I lived in Seattle, but I'm about 5 miles PAST the middle of nowhere, here. Great place to live, but not so good when it comes to buying stuff from the usual sources.
            Well when I bought my Baldor 8" bench grinder I found it on the Boston CL and when I bought my Baldor carbide tool grinder it came out of Cleveland. Both were shipped to me here in Owensboro KY. It just depends on what kind of deal you work out with the seller.

I also bought a brand new USA made 6" HD bench vice out of Chicago and the seller had stated "no shipping" in the add. He shipped it to me, we just had to come to terms.

Comment

Working...
            X