embarassing moment, sort of

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• embarassing moment, sort of

A gentleman came over yesterday to look at my old 9 x 20" lathe that I haven't used in a couple of years. I was showing him it's features, associated equipment etc. and then turned it on to show him that it worked OK.

Nothing.

I tried everything I could to get it to work, wiggling each wire in turn, praying to the god of electricity and on and on.

Nothing worked. Probably blew the sale.

Today I went out to try and figure out what was wrong with it, I have never had this problem before. I soon realized that it would work better plugged in.

The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Blown sale

Hopefully you have a happy ending. For some of my machinery that I unplug for safety reasons I've got in the habit of laying the cord over the location you work so you can't help but see it if you go to use the equipment. Actually looking for a small lathe myself send me a PM if your sale goes south.

Harold Mulder

Comment

Always happens when someone is standing there.

Classic for me and it ALWAYS happens when training on these CNC's is I set it up with the guys computer, go thru all the settings and then start training.

The guy stands there looking at me amazed as I keep stabbing at the monitor because I'm so used to touch screens I can't stop doing it.

Even after I have realised and started using the mouse, two minutes later I'm stabbing at the stupid screen again.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by haroldmulder
        Hopefully you have a happy ending. For some of my machinery that I unplug for safety reasons I've got in the habit of laying the cord over the location you work so you can't help but see it if you go to use the equipment.

I do the same thing with my lathe. It has exposed belts and I worry one of the kids might bump the on switch. Thinking back to my childhood anything is possible.

I teach motorcycle safety classes for the MSF. It's always a good time to watch a student struggle for a few minutes wondering why the bike won't start. I remind them "FINE-C" and ask them to do the whole process. The lightbulb really does click when they remember to switch the kill switch to "run"

FINE-C: Fuel, Ignition, Neutral, Engine Cuttoff (kill) Switch, Choke/Clutch
        Last edited by Ggerg1186; 02-05-2012, 05:09 PM.
        If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy

https://www.facebook.com/WDHSTechClub

Comment

My I add me to this embarrassing situation only to have someone point out it may help to plug it in. Yes, it has happened to me too.
          It's only ink and paper

Comment

Reminds me of the time I needed 4 copies RIGHT NOW...... went to the copier and tried to lift the top.... no go....what the..?? ....... Almost had the thing off its stand before I remembered that they replaced it.... the new one had the cover's lift handle on the end, NOT the side.... While the new one had a "handle looking thing" on the side, it was firmly part of the structure.

Originally posted by Ggerg1186
            I do the same thing with my lathe. It has exposed belts and I worry one of the kids might bump the on switch. Thinking back to my childhood anything is possible.

The cutoff switch for my shop is in the overhead.... except for the 3 phase, which requires the RPC first be started before any of that will run.

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
            X