Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know about Ab Arboga Maskiner machines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know about Ab Arboga Maskiner machines?

http://tallahassee.craigslist.org/tls/2842551730.html

Looks like it has x and y axis movement, but it's hard to tell from the photo. Any good? Worth having, considering a VFD would be needed to make it run?
    Last edited by winchman; 02-09-2012, 11:50 PM.
    Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Buy it, quick. Incredible price, very good machine.

Comment

Get there fast- RUN !!

Comment

Buy it now if you want it as a drill press. As a mill I can't say. I have a Strands and it is very similar and a very good medium duty drill press.
        How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

I have used a similar machine for milling and they are useful for that, although they are excellent as drill presses. They are better for milling compared to most lighter chinese mill/drills that I have seen(and the one I own). For that price I would not hesitate, assuming it runs. The motor can't be replaced(at least not easily, a rewind is probably more practical).

Some info on Arboga here: http://www.lathes.co.uk/arboga/index.html

One thing to consider if you want to use it for milling is that it doesn't have a drawbar. Instead it has a threaded spindle nose and some "plates" for holding the toll in place, make sure you get these if you buy it.

Around here Arboga(and Strands and Solberga) are the standard drill press found in almost every shop.

Comment

one off integrated motor ...and phenolic gears .

motor often fails

gears often strip

i draw that conclusion from over the years ..
            almost anyone that has one of these ..and has posted on the net is talking about where to get the gears made or how to get the motor sorted.

all the best.markj
            Last edited by aboard_epsilon; 02-10-2012, 05:56 AM.

Comment

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, but, BUT.....
              Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Nice drill. Dont mill with it.
                "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

Originally posted by justanengineer
                  Nice drill. Dont mill with it.
                  Why not ?
                  It is a milling machine.

I had one for years, built like a brick $hithouse, round column but the rack is secured to it so it hold position if moved up or down, small quill movement 3" if I remember.

Three phase two speed integral motor, ours were 440 volts as as such would not run off a VFD, If the US model is 220v then it will.

Very nice well made machines and if the range of movements fall within what you want to do with it then it's cheap at that price but has probably already gone.

Mark mentions the inbuilt motor giving problems but to be honest I haven't heard this or the gear problems. If the motor goes give problems the stator is easily removable for a rewind.

End of spindle is threaded 62 x 1.5 or similar instead of a drawbar.
                  I made a top hatted threaded bush up and turned a groove into standard MT3 holders and fitted a circlip. When the nut was tighten it forced the circlip up and so held it in the taper.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

I do not know anything in particular about this model, but in general Arboga machine tools are excellent. I do not see how you could get hurt at that price.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
                      Why not ?
                      It is a milling machine.

I had one for years, built like a brick $hithouse, round column but the rack is secured to it so it hold position if moved up or down, small quill movement 3" if I remember.

Three phase two speed integral motor, ours were 440 volts as as such would not run off a VFD, If the US model is 220v then it will.

Very nice well made machines and if the range of movements fall within what you want to do with it then it's cheap at that price but has probably already gone.

Mark mentions the inbuilt motor giving problems but to be honest I haven't heard this or the gear problems. If the motor goes give problems the stator is easily removable for a rewind.

End of spindle is threaded 62 x 1.5 or similar instead of a drawbar.
                      I made a top hatted threaded bush up and turned a groove into standard MT3 holders and fitted a circlip. When the nut was tighten it forced the circlip up and so held it in the taper.
                      Agree with everything you say John.I have one too and seen hundreds more.
                      I have repaired one motor and no gears for all of my customers over thirty odd years.
                      Quill travel on mine is more than 3" I think.
                      Sorry Welsh Mark,you need to treat them more like your women and don`t pull the wool out.
                      Mark.

Comment

its just stuck in my mind

Arbouga equals

motor trouble and gear trouble ...

i think the posts are on the PM forum ..

think there is about one mention of a machine that isnt in trouble ..and three mentions of machines in trouble...with threads lasting for weeks .

all the best.markj

Comment

I seem to remember big long threads from a poster in Oz who had posts on every forum on the net asking about how the motor was wound.
                          Despite getting answers early on he kept posting and asking and just going round in circles.
                          There was one about someone who had dropped his and broke it.
                          That head on these Arbogas has been used in loads of different models,copied in other makes and built in tens of thousands for over forty years,for a No3 morse machine it is surprisingly strong.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
                            Why not ?
                            It is a milling machine.
                            Just bc it has an XY table does not make it a mill John. Without further research I cannot speak for this particular one, but do know that Arboga made models that were drill only, and I was under the impression that was the majority of their business. I have also read that some of these had upgraded bearings for milling, but when in doubt I play it safe. Ive seen far too many nice machine tools ruined by misuse, and also seen far too many drills and jig bores mistaken for mills.
                            Last edited by justanengineer; 02-10-2012, 03:49 PM.
                            "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

Yes, most are for drilling. This one looks to be the drill/mill model though, if it has the threaded spindle nose it is made for milling.

Comment

Working...
                              X