Oil spots on basement floor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil spots on basement floor

Well, like any happy home machinist, I'm making chips. I noticed lots of oil and coolant spots on my concrete floor. Also spots under machines from oil. What can I do before it's out of hand? Clean floor and paint? If I just leave it will it damage the floor permanantly? mabe never alowing me to paint? What can I do?

Thanks Bob

Here's what you should do. Degrease the areas with visible oil stain with solvent. Stuff used for shampooing engine works well (e.g. Gunk). Remember if you ever want to paint the concrete surface, you must etch it with muriatic acid first otherwise it will peel.

Albert

Comment

If you haven't already, get a bag of that granulated oil-dri (goes by many trade names) to spread on the oily spots, to soak up as much as possible (and quickly as possible). It's only $4-5 for a 25 or 50# bag. It makes the job easier for the Gunk degreaser.
      Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Cheapest oil drying stuff that I know of is plain old cat litter. Pretty much just small grandular clay. Usually comes in a "convienient plastic bucket with handle" for carrying and sometimes they even give you a small scoop as a prize. What a deal!!! Sounds like Cracker Jacks.

Try the "non clumping" if you can get it. The "clumping" type is great for CAT P_SS, but not much else. Same way with the "deodorant" stuff that they put in it, but worst it can do is make the area smell better. You might not have much choice about deodorant in it. Cats can stink up a rose factory if you let them run around too much. My wife loves the little varmits. I think that they make great "target practice". For some reason, she doesn't agree with me. Imagine that!!!

Anyway, sprinkle the stuff on the oil and you can almost hear is suck the oil out of the concrete. Afterwards, you can do the solvent or degreaser bit to remove the stain.

Regards.
        Rodger
        RPease

Comment

Go to WalMart and get there elcheepo cat litter $2 US a bag, works grate to soke up oil, and the cats like it too. Gunk turns to soap when hit with water,don't use water till your all done. If you get much oil on floor try piant thiner first, then Gunk, then a strond detergent, then muriatic acid let dry well then paint.

P.S. Ool on painted concret very slipry watch out.

Cookie

Comment

That cheap cat litter is great on an icy sidewalk or driveway also.

Comment

If you need to wash it off try the Vim Oxy-gel in hot water. Man, does that stuff degrease fast!

Comment

OK, Put the speedy dry on it. Now how do I go about de-greasing with the "GUNK"? is GUNK water soluble? How do I get the GUNK off the floor? How about "SIMPLE GREEN? It sais it's envionmently friendly. Seems like I can suck It up in the shop vac.

Always more questions than answers.
                How do I etch the floor with meriatic acid safely. Then, how long due I wait to paint the floor.

Sorry for all the questions. I want to get it right the first time seeing as this is my home basement.

Thanks Bob

Comment

What is VIM-OXY-GEL and where can I get It?

Comment

Portland cement sprinkeled on old oil stains works well. It may tale up to a week to pull the oil out, but it does work. When you sweepit up it will also hide any tiny cracks in the floor.....
                    good luck
                    hms50
                    hms

Comment

You can get Gunk in different forms. Depending on how much areas you need to degrease either buy it in spray can or buy it in 1 gallon can (I don't recommend the foam type for the floor). Either way, just spray it or paint it on the oily spots and let it sit for few minutes. In a really heavily soiled areas, you may want to use a stiff brush and clean it up with paper towel and then apply again. To clean up, you can use warm water and some house hold detergent. Yes Gunk will emulsified in water so it make is easy to clean. If you don't have a drain hole near the mess, then you can use Shopvac to suck up the mess (make sure you don't have paper filter in the machine). Simple Green works well but it's not as effective as Gunk, but if the stain isn't that bad then this may be good a good alternative since it won't smell up the house.

Meriatic acid being an organic acid is not as dangerous as the others, however you should still protect your eyes and any exposed skin. Diluate it as per instruction, pour a little bit on the floor and spread it around. If you watch carefully you'll see bubbles forming, which is an indication that it's etching. Clean up with water and let it dry. Depending on the type of paint you put down, you either need to have it dry to the touch or really dry (ask the paint supplier and they'll tell you). Good luck.

Albert

Comment

If you end up with a spot the will not come out, try mixing Comet cleanser into a paste with water. Spread it on and let it sit over night. It will lift and bleach. I used to do this on Terrazo floors with terrific results, but never tried it on concrete.
                        I usually just walk the cat litter in. WalMart cheapo, non-clumping, non-deo.. Should you decide to sell the house, carpet.

Comment

Is Oxy-Gel the product I see some fast talking pitchman using on one of those TV infomercials?
                          Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

VIM-OXY-GEL is a flavour of your regular VIM which is household cleaning agent in a cream form. It much gentler than the dutch cleanser however it does still contain abrasive material. As for the OXY part, they're justing joing the "oxygen" bandwagon.

As for the Oxy-Gel, sure go and buy one if you want to be counted as another "sucker born every minute". BTW, those infomercials are borderline fraud.

Albert

Comment

Muriatic acid is hydrochloric acid, just a commercially available diluted solution. It will etch concrete, and that is why it is used prior to painting. It is an inorganic acid, and quite corrosive. Use all precautions when using it.

It is not effective as a grease remover, but merely serves to prepare the surface to accept the paint.

A good scrubbing with TSP, trisodium phosphate, which is available in most paint stores will generally suffice. Heavier grease and oil can be treated as above. Mop & squeegee dry, apply acid, squeegee again and allow to air dry before painting.
                              Jim H.

Comment

Working...
                              X