Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhodes Shaper on E-bay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...S:1123#vi-desc

I have been watching this item for some time and cannot figure why it has not sold yet. I would love to have a shaper and it seems well within my budget though I may have to sell my drum sander to make room for it. Is there something about this machine that is not apealing? I know from the video posted that the poster seems to be taking a very light cut in the material that looks like aluminum and I have seen similar sized units taking much more agressive cuts.
    Fred Townroe

The reason its not selling is that its still ~$800 too high. Given the choice of paying ~$400 for a South Bend vs $1050 for a Rhodes, I think most would take the "cheap" SB, that comes along with a name that appeals to more collectors.

The last Rhodes I saw actually sell went for <$100 btw, so unless you trust someone else's "restoration" talents (I never do), I would pass.
    "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

Is it just me or does the video not have any sound?
      If there is no sound, IMO the value of the video goes down quite a bit; of the machinery videos I have seen esp the sales ones, you'd be surprised how often a comment is in reply to how something sounds, so...it immediately causes some questioning

Comment

You did a really nice job on the restoration, but the price is a little high, and you have the shipping advertised as pickup only.

Advertising it here should help a lot
        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

I have a 7in Rhodes shaper, paid $150 for it. Unfortunately, I do not have an original vise. Has a different arrangement for the countershaft, but works well. Need s a larger motor to run at the higher speeds. I'd let it go for a lot less since I haven't yet needed it despite always wanting a shaper. They are such a fascinating machine to watch running. I do NOT think the green is an original color, did not find a HINT of that color when I rebuilt mine. Bob.

Comment

looks like a decent shaper, the make/model that is. How do they compare to an atlas or southbend?

whether its worth 1000 or 100 entirely depends on condition imo. If it is as good as it looks; no wear, no issues, 1000 might be fine....you'd be working for $1/hour taking a beater that needing lots of work to perfect condition. IF in fact it is perfect! How can you tell from a pic - thats probably the biggest reasons it hasn't sold. Nees lots of good close photography and commentary to detail condition. Now if you can get perfection for 150, then its just a terrible time to be long on machine tools.

I'd buy it, but won't .....as my silent protest to the overuse of "vintage" by tool sellers Vintage is becoming the new billet Ugh

Comment

Thanks for the input. I really had no idea what the machine should sell for. It seemed resonable to me, but that is why I asked for some more learned analysis. I guess that would explain why it has lingered so long on E-bay. I will keep looking.
              Fred Townroe

Comment

THere are three prices that apply to most offers or sales:

the upper and lower "going rates" and

what its worth to you.

I only use the going rates as a guide to what may apply to a paerticular offer.

If its within MY price range - I buy it - otherwise consider "giving it a miss" or lifting your sights a bit.

Anything is only worth what a buyer is prepared to pay on the day.

It is a very clean machine with no obvious wear but it appears to be only 3-speed with a flat belt drive and no obvious clutch or brake. At 7" stroke it is a bit small. It is ideal for removing metal with cheap HSS tool bits instead of end milling cutters. Shapers are made for making dovetails (no broken HSS DT cutters) which can be a problem on a milling machine.

Comment

I've been watching that for a while too. I think it started at or above $1500. It is right across the bridge from our place in FL. Next time I'm down, I'll go take a look. Should still be there at that price. There's a decent looking Atlas 7B that has been on CL for months at $1500. Has the vise and looks OK, but I haven't had the heart to tell him he's about 3x too high.

I've got most of an old Rhodes like the one in the link except for the table and auto feed stuff. It's in decent shape with a lot of original scraping left, just need to figure out how to make a box table for it. The rest should be pretty straight forward. Way down on the list though, for now.

Comment

FWIW, the Rhodes that go for top money are the slotters. The one linked to can be turned into a slotter with the appropriate attachment that is impossible to find That was the niche that these machines have for the collector crowd. I think they were the only reasonable size slotting machine to be produced... ever? Other than the heads for the Bridgeports or other obscure European mills. I only mention it because I've seen Rhodes shapers with the slotting attachments in crazy horrible condition sell for more than that listing price.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Fisher
                      I have a 7in Rhodes shaper, paid $150 for it. Unfortunately, I do not have an original vise. Has a different arrangement for the countershaft, but works well. Need s a larger motor to run at the higher speeds. I'd let it go for a lot less since I haven't yet needed it despite always wanting a shaper. They are such a fascinating machine to watch running. I do NOT think the green is an original color, did not find a HINT of that color when I rebuilt mine. Bob.
                      do you still have the shaper, and whAT would you consider letting it go for, I am located in dunlap IA,,, can give phone num in private message

Comment

Working...
                      X