• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo: Machine Tool Factory England 1947

THAT OLD GANG 'O MINE

Isn't that old guy in the fore ground John? Sorry John,couldn't resist
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Are those Colchester (pre-clausing) lathes?

Frank

Comment

Isn't that old guy in the fore ground John? Sorry John,couldn't resist
        no he's too young and well dressed to be John Alistair

oh well that's me off his christmas list again
        Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

They look more like grinders to me, possibly a cylindrical grinder in the foreground?

Comment

Carl, Is this a photo of the Churchill plant?

BTW That's not me in the foreground.
            [a] I don't smoke and
            [b] I'm better looking

John S.

[This message has been edited by John Stevenson (edited 02-12-2004).]

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

They Difinetly look like Cylindrical Grinders. Could this be the Myford Facility?
              Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Spin Doctor:
                They Difinetly look like Cylindrical Grinders. Could this be the Myford Facility?</font>
                No because there is only one guy with his hands in hs pockets, plus they have overhead electric lights, Myford still has gas lighting.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Right that does it!

what's wrong with gas lighting ?

it's the latest thing here in Dunoon a great way of warming your meatloaf of an evening very romantic Alistair
                  Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Thats why the postage is so expensive to your place Alistair,the donkeys pulling the mail wagons are scared off by the new fangaled lighting

John,please forgive my mistake,I should have noticed the lack of lacy underthings
                    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Alistair,
                      It's called progress.
                      Can you rememeb r when you had the reed lamp, then the candle followed by the oil lamp ?
                      Well now you have the gas lamp as you say.
                      Later on as Scotland progresses and gets dragged screaming and kicking into the 20th century someone up there will bring the electric light up to you.

John S.

PS sorry mate couldn't resist

Comment

At first glance I thought it was the Erection Bay at Alfred Herberts in Coventry (and no jokes about the guy in centre shot with his hands in his pockets!) but then I also noticed the obviously cylindrical grinder at front of shot.

I reckon it could be Jones and Shipman, Leicester. Look at the bases in the far centre shot - very J&S looking. If it's not J&S I'll go for Churchill Machine Tools at Altringham, Cheshire.

It looks younger than '47 as well. I would have thought it was a photo taken around mid '50's to early '60's, the youngsters hairstyles give it away.

RR

[This message has been edited by Ragarsed Raglan (edited 02-13-2004).]

Comment

Working...
                        X