Whole sale tool Vertical mill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whole sale tool Vertical mill

Has anyone experience with this machine make. I have an opportunity to purchase an older model, but very similar, thats never been used and has new paint and looks pretty good for under $2300. Is this as good as a Bridgeport or Rockwell?

Skip

Wholesale tool Mill

Sorry I forgot to post the hyperlink for you guys.

http://www.wttool.com/index/page/pro...oduct_id/14819

Skip

Comment

could also be this one ..it has horizontal as well ...that's a bonus ...that makes it better than a Bridgeport

http://www.wttool.com/index/page/pro..._shopping=true

but slowest spindle speed is a bit high on this one 120rpm ....plus the other one in the first link is a little bit lower...100 rpm.. but not low enough ...should be below 80 rpm...you want that for some flycutting operations and countersinking.

good powerful motor
      Last edited by aboard_epsilon; 02-13-2012, 03:58 PM.

Comment

wholesale tool mill

So is a horiz. and Vertical mill in one machine called a turrent mill?

Skip

Comment

ISO30 on one spindle and R8 on the other? That really makes no sense to me at all. I have a horizontal/vertical spindle mill and it is really important that the same tooling can be used in both spindles interchangeably. I guess R8 for the horizontal spindle would make little sense, since it has an overarm support but why not ISO30 on both? Also, you really need slow speeds for the horizontal spindle unless you want to limit yourself to small cutters. Perhaps on reflection a limitation like that may be sensible given the rigidity which this mill probably has.
          Bill

Comment

Originally posted by skipd1
            So is a horiz. and Vertical mill in one machine called a turrent mill?
            A turret mill is one that has a turret on it. The turret sits on top of the base casting, holding the ram, which projects out to the head, and allows both to rotate about the centerline of the base casting. The purpose of the turret is so that you can reposition the head to cover another area to be milled, while keeping the spindle perpendiculr to the table - it gives you more "reach" if you will, but also creates a loss of rigidity.

http://ninjacraze.hubpages.com/hub/M...their-Function

The above link should help. Also, try comparing the mill in your link, or even the common bridgeport to the link below of a vertical, non-turret mill. I apologize for the ad in the link, but its the first set of good pics I could find. Guess which mill is more rigid?

http://www.exapro.com/used-kearney-t...ine-p10805231/

I too am confused by the multiple spindle tapers, but am encouraged by the fact that the motor is 3 phase. Generally, 3 ph = more intended for use in a commercial shop = better quality machine, but generalizations are like... well nevermind...
            "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

Whole Sale Tool Vertical Mill

All this is pretty new to me and wanting to buy a tool I will be happy with is difficult when you don't know much about these machines. I like the way the horizontal mills work and they seem to be pretty flexable as to what milling jobs they can do. On the other hand there are a ton of vertical mills out there and everyone seems to like them as a single answer to milling. A friend of mine bought a older used Jet vertical knee mill that has a horizontal spindle as well and that seems to be the best of both worlds. However if they each have there own spindle sizes and you need to spend a fortune on tooling!! It seems like there are too many options. Then add that my shop is already jammed with woodworking tools space is a serious concern.
              Regards.
              Skip

Comment

Well I guess the question is which mill is it, vertical or vertical/horizontal? R8 is the most economical tooling to acquire.......if it has a horizontal function even of a different taper that would be a bonus but probably rarely used depending on what you envision doing..........
                Opportunity knocks once, temptation leans on the doorbell.....

Comment

Fortunately the motors are 3-ph, so all it takes to slow it down is a VFD, which also kills the phase converter bird, and is super nice to have anyway

Comment

Well let's see. Is it as good as a Brideport or a Rockwell? Assuming by the name & price it is a Chinese knock-off of a BP. Using this logic a Chinese wrench should be just as good as a Snap-On, Proto, Mac, Wright, or Armstrong.

Comment

Whole Sale Tool Vertical Mill

Originally posted by Dr Stan
                      Well let's see. Is it as good as a Brideport or a Rockwell? Assuming by the name & price it is a Chinese knock-off of a BP. Using this logic a Chinese wrench should be just as good as a Snap-On, Proto, Mac, Wright, or Armstrong.
                      Dr.Stan
                      Well said and enough on this subject I think. Thanks everyone for your advise.

Regards.
                      Skip

Comment

Well, I have some chinese wrenches (open end) that for my purposes are as good as I could ever want.

I've never used Snap-On or Proto, etc., but I can't imagine an open end wrench doing anything more for me than these, unless some can cook breakfast or stuff like that. I've used these for years and they look perfectly new, no rust or wear or gouge marks on the jaws.

Comment

Looks like a good starter 3/4 size machine on the cheap if thats what hes after........tooling up a mill is the most expensive but unless you buy a used one that comes with everything you'll face that hurdle anyway......you can do it slow and gradual........
                          Opportunity knocks once, temptation leans on the doorbell.....

Comment

One thing to drill down on, not mentioned in the specis, is spindle to
                            table max. Bridgeport size mills it is in the 16-17" range, smaller
                            mills may be as little as 12" which is not too bad for most milling
                            using collets as tool holders, but limits what you can drill. Work
                            arounds available but consider: vise ~2.5-3" to bottom
                            of jaw from table, R8 drill chuck, minimum of 3" long for chuck
                            good to 1/2" or so, length of drill 3/8" and above size any where
                            from 2.5 to 6" or so. Add it up:6-7" taken for chuck and vice alone, but you
                            are drilling from the top so it is more and this doesn't include the length
                            of the drill bit. 12-13" table to spindle max doesn't leave much room
                            for work piece.
                            Steve

Comment

Working...
                            X