Tapered bronze bearings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RussZHC
    I value this discussion and not to put a damper on it but I suspect this to be "re-invention" of old technology, but given the benefits, why would the method have slowed/ceased? Too costly versus "modern" roller element bearings?
    I was thinking the same thing. As we discuss the places where bronze bearing are used and the benefits of using said bearings the question of development trends comes to the forefront. I have been enjoying the rediscovery of old technology. It's one of the reasons so many of us revere old machinery. The designs are timeless. I think sometimes engineering developments continue on a forward path without taking the time to reflect on where we've been.

Comment

Brown and Sharpe screw machines used tapered bronze bushings

Comment

Aren't the high speed spindles used on CNC circuit board drilling machines using plain bearings? Rather than using an oil film to keep the elements from contacting one another they use air pressure. Oil will let you get so close but air can let you get even closer.

The basic rules are still in place.
        Gene

Comment

thanks for that, barrington. what i find weird is the small contact area of the bearing.
          Last edited by dian; 02-15-2012, 05:53 AM.

Comment

Dian - I suspect that the drawing is just showing the cross section through a couple of longitudinal oil grooves, the rest of the 'cone' being intact.

Comment

i see, that makes sence.

Comment

Cast iron Hardinge spindle bearings tapered on the OD.

--Doozer
                DZER

Comment

Found some interesting info on another type of bronze bearing, the floating bush bearing.

http://www.rodyn-inc.com/ISCORMA3_Gu...hargerVer2.pdf

Comment

Working...
                  X