I went back to work this week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I went back to work this week

After a radical prostaectomy, I am doing well except that I am still 100% incontinent. I went back to work Monday and they saved up a lot of jobs that apparently only I am capable of doing, so I am able to keep busy. Nothing is particularly physical, but I do get a goodly amount of walking in from my office to the plant floor.

The incontinence has amounted to only a minor inconvenience as long as I stop whatever I'm doing and go change my pad hourly.

All that being said, I am nearly exhausted by the end of the day. I have spent most of the evenings sitting on the couch dozing or watching mindless TV - not my preferred activity.

When asked if I was happy to be back to work, I replied "The novelty wore off after 3 days."

In my absence, there were some changes in staffing and my office, better than my position deserved, was needed for a new manager. Today was moving day and instead of a carpeted office, I was moved to an area with a tile floor. That in itself was no big deal, but more on the floor later. The room is more of a technical area and has the x-ray machine, a shielded box that we use for examinating and analyzing the parts we manufacture. I am one of the x-ray technicians for the company and I suggested to my boss that if my PSA next month came back unsatisfactory, that I could disable the safety door and perform my own radiation therapy.

Also, I sat down at my new desk(cubicle) and looked down at my feet. There was a floor drain! Accident or design? My engineering mind began considering incontinence and the floor drain....
    Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
    ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Sail plane pilots use an external catheter to a hole in the bottom of the plane, So why not? use a pinch clamp when not sitting over the
    floor drain. :-)
    ...lew...

Comment

Originally posted by Weston Bye

Also, I sat down at my new desk(cubicle) and looked down at my feet. There was a floor drain! Accident or design? My engineering mind began considering incontinence and the floor drain....
      Think of the increase in productivity

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Wes, good to hear your'e back at work,,had to be so frustrating not being able to do your'e usual things.

Comment

Every hanger I've had has a funnel in the corner & a tube thru the wall into the ground. Dollar General sells urinal cakes 2/$1 just take off the wire before use so when it's gone nothing to touch. Glad you're back to work & doing so well!
          "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
          world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
          country, in easy stages."
          ~ James Madison

Comment

Glad to hear that you were not only willing but also able to go back. Good for you.

Dave

Comment

Glad to hear your back at it.........the stamina will improve with time as will control over your bladder.........your sense of humor is a good sign........
              Opportunity knocks once, temptation leans on the doorbell.....

Comment

Weston's new future office?

Maybe you could upgrade the throne to the deluxe cushy model.

Comment

Arcane thats rough........I guess he can find sympathy in the dictionary between sh!t and syphillus..........
                  Opportunity knocks once, temptation leans on the doorbell.....

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
                    Think of the increase in productivity
                    The funny/sad part is that I have often considered similar measures to keep the flow of work going at my office. Nothing worse than taking a piss only to find your train of thought gone.

Congrats on getting back to the grind Mr Weston. I am sure whatever discomforts and inconveniences you are experiencing now will only get better as your mind finds a few interesting projects to take it away.
                    "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

Glad to hear the news.

When life gives you lemons you seem to be making lemonade (or whatever).

Git-R-Done

Comment

Congratulations on your continuing recovery and that you have retained your sense of humor along the way. It's nice to be back at work, isn't it? When I think of retirement I immediately wonder what I'll do after the first coffee is done. I really like my job. I think I'd miss it badly once the novelty of retirement wore off.

Comment

Originally posted by Lew Hartswick
                          use a pinch clamp when not sitting over the
                          floor drain. :-)
                          ...lew...
                          OUCH. That would hurt.

Comment

Astronauts also wear diapers...
                            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                              Astronauts also wear diapers...

In a few years I'm gonna be an astronaut! Who knew?

Comment

Working...
                              X