No announcement yet.

Nearly got killed today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If your earth protection device failed to protect you I can only imagine that you somehow got yourself between two phases or between phase and neutral.

I think you should be very critical in your investigations as I suspect you have more than one electrical fault condition.

Comment

In general the systems on this side of the pond use 3x 230V with respect to neutral (which is connected to the ground rod). So the voltage between the phases is about 400V.
      The three phase ground fault circuit breakers are supposed to trigger if any current goes outside of the three phases. The one from BF must have been either malfunctioning or wired incorrectly.

If you manage to get yourself in between two of the phases the circuit breaker won't trip, but that usually requires a bit of effort. Your body parts will act like the fuse in that case.

Igor

Comment

Originally posted by ikdor
        If you manage to get yourself in between two of the phases the circuit breaker won't trip, but that usually requires a bit of effort. Your body parts will act like the fuse in that case.

Igor
        At no time will your body parts 'act like a fuse' unless by that you mean 'explodes with a flash and is then dead'

GFI's do indeed detect when current flows outside of the the phases *and* neutral. they work even without a ground and without a neutral. They will even work if you manage to get yourself between that circuit and some other circuit. they detect any slight imbalance in the sumed current of all the wires.

Black Forest: Do you have real 3 phase, and a 3 phase GFI? Or do you have a 1 phase motor running a 3 phase motor to produce 3 phase?
        Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Yep, we have real 3 phase. I had an extenstion cable running to my grinder. The cable was in the snow. I had to connect two cables to get power to where I was using the ginder. Where the two cables plugged together the connection was very wet. Could that have anything to do with anything?

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest

Maybe I have super powers now. I am going up to the top floor and jump off and see if I can fly.
            I wanna see pictures\video.....................

Comment

problem ..solved maybe

you built youreself a Van de Graaff Generator / belt grinder

that's were your shock came from .

all the besat.markj

Comment

The Shocking Truth

Mostly dead is not the same as all dead. Hopefully you will recover without any adverse effects.
                Kansas City area

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest
                  Yep, we have real 3 phase. I had an extenstion cable running to my grinder. The cable was in the snow. I had to connect two cables to get power to where I was using the ginder. Where the two cables plugged together the connection was very wet. Could that have anything to do with anything?

Obviously the gfci should have tripped if the wet plug was grounding.

Assuming you have a grounded (verses "double insulated") device, wet connection shouldn't cause YOU any problem IF the case ground was intact. Check the continuity of the ground though the extension cords.
                  Last edited by lakeside53; 02-20-2012, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Shouldn't you have posted this in the "Extremely high Electric Bill" thread. ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

WET connections???? I don't know enough about electricity to really know what happened,but do be careful. I never let my lines get wet.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
                        Shouldn't you have posted this in the "Extremely high Electric Bill" thread. ?
                        That's pretty funny. You could probably make just as much without getting yer hands dirty being a writer for a TV sitcom. Wouldn't have to deal with bloody customers either.
                        Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

I have an image going through my head of this electric problem reoccuring while BF is taking a photo of all his girlfriends draped over his machinery. He'd need a movie camera for that !

You weren't standing in a bucket of water with the lederhosen on again, were you ?

Please be more careful with wet 3-phase. And google internal tissue damage if you've got swollen muscles. It could start hurting.
                          Richard - SW London, UK, EU.

Comment

I get zapped with 220V every now and then, touching the live wire with one hand. Depending on the ground path at that point, I either don't feel it, or it tingles slightly or I get shaken. Your symptoms sound much more severe, so I am suspecting it is one of the live wires of a 380V three phase service that zapped you.

Many GFI's have a current rating that it too high to protect a person. For example, if your GFI is a 30mA device and 20mA is flowing through your body, the GFI won't interrupt, but that current can kill you...

Comment

A GFCI only trips if the current on all the normally conducting wires does not add up to zero.......

That means 1 amp in on this wire, and 1 amp out on that. If it cone up short, 1.000 amp in , and only 0.995 coming back (in the US) then it is supposed to trip.

if you get "across" the voltage, then it will not trip, because you look like a normal load.

So if the GFCI didn't trip, then you didn't contact to earth, but got across the mains. Either that or the GFCI is no good, OR it is a high setting type.... equipment protector type, set between 30 and 100 milliampere, usually. That will kick you into next week, and not trip the GFCI
                              CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                              Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                              Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                              I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                              Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

No electrical advice BUT I am going to repeat the advice to visit the medical professionals. If for no other reason, we'll stop nagging when you do!
                                "The Administration does not support blowing up planets." --- Finally some SENSIBLE policy from the Gov!

Comment

Working...
                                X