Nearly got killed today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Toolguy
    Mostly dead is not the same as all dead.
    Is that the same as slightly pregnant ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

"Shorting across" the breaker only tests if it will open on an overload. That says nothing about the ability to trip for an earth fault. They are far different mechanisms.

An earth fault is (as I said before) leakage from the energized wiring to earth, from any cause. That may include you in the circuit, or not. Wet wiring can cause the earth fault detector (GFCI in the 'States) to open.

EVERY GFCI that I am aware of has a test button, that applies a resistance to earth sufficient to cause the minimum required trip current. If the GFCI does not open for that test button, it is bad, and should be replaced.

Question (1) is what KIND of earth fault breaker do you have?

The type which is for protection of people has a very low trip current, about 3.5 to 5 thousandths of an ampere (0.0035 to 0.005 ampere).

The type which is for protecting equipment requires 10X more current, and offers no protection to peiople.

Question (2) is what were you doing when you got "zapped"? Where were your hands touching the equipment?

Because , as mentioned, the GFCI type device does no good if you are "across the mains", because then you are drawing current just like a legitimate "load".

Evan's picture:

Curiously, although I would not do it for any amount of money that you can name, dropping a live extension cord into THAT SPECIFIC KIND OF POOL is not necessarily instant death.....

It is all about the path of the current.

THAT particular pool is all plastic, and current can only go between the wires....it is (at least theoretically) insulated from earth ground. those at a distance will not have any effect unless they step OUT of the pool and have contact with water AND earth ground at the same time. (if there is some grounded object that we can't see, that's different)

In a normal pool, with concrete sides, and grounded inlet and outlet pipes, the current CAN AND WILL pass from the extension cord to whatever grounded item exists, perhaps the pipes, or directly through saturated concrete. THAT is extremely dangerous, and explains the whole pool (or more especially, bathtub) and electricity deal.....
      Last edited by J Tiers; 02-21-2012, 09:41 AM.
      CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
      Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
      Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
      I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
      Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

I would get a volt meter and check to see what else may be hot in you shop that sholdn't be.

JL.................

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee
          I would get a volt meter and check to see what else may be hot in you shop that sholdn't be.

JL.................

I invited a friend of mine over this morning. We took coffee up to the shop and I went around the shop asking him various questions about my different machines. In the course of answering my questions he always touched the machines. He is still alive so I guess there was no current on them.

Anyone on here want to stop by for a visit?

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

you want to watch out for fake chinese mcbs as well

http://schneider-qa.bsky.net/interne...2573F3004D040C

no trip mechanisms inside ..they are just an on/off switch

all the besr.markj
            Last edited by aboard_epsilon; 02-21-2012, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Just so you all know. That was a joke about my friend in the shop. Even I wouldn't do that.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest

Maybe I have super powers now. I am going up to the top floor and jump off and see if I can fly.

oh the drama ----- im with SJ on this one - it will be interesting to see next months electric bill,

But - on a side note - I knew a guy who had the exact same thing happen and the thing is is he did end up flying afterwords - it was amazing, he said the secret was that you have to have faith/conviction --- just jump and point your chin directly at the ground and you will fly because of your new superpowers,

so good luck to u BF - let us know how it turns out and take some pictures too... god bless...

Comment

I have super powers! I took a two hour nap today. I have never had a two hour nap. Normally it is fifteen minutes and I am raring to go.

Comment

Working...
                  X