OT Plumbing-Re-crimp PEX fittings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT Plumbing-Re-crimp PEX fittings?

Daughter bought nicer 3 yr old home and had leak behind sheet rock. After much hassle, plumbers fixed it. Fitting they removed was not properly crimped-you could twist the pipe on fitting easily. Now I see 2 more barely drippers in unfinished area (furnace room).
    I have new quality crimping tools and go-no go guages. Info with tools says for new crimps to crimp only once. So my question is; should I re-crimp these easy to reach fittings or if they should be replaced,its plumber time again. Thanks.

The default should always be to go back to the MFRs protocol, but there would be little harm in recrimping to see if the leaks stop.

PEX crimp style fittings are easy to work with and are usually pretty tight IF the crimper is OK. There may be enough slack in the piping to cut off and add a new crimp ring. The brass fitting inside should be fine. You could also try to carefully remove the crimp ring, but I find that is difficult to do withput scarring up the PEX tube.

My .02 NTL, YMMV
    Design to 0.0001", measure to 1/32", cut with an axe, grind to fit

Comment

Hello Ron B,
      The quick answer is NO. Like you, my son and daughternlaw bought a new house and we replaced all of the old galvinized pipe under the house ( a tight fit for this old man) with the same tool kit you describe and the copper rings that you crimp on the PEX joint. Had a couple of tight spots that did'nt get well crimped and as you describe, a slow drip was found, tried redoing and still drippped. Took a hacksaw and cut the ring in 2 places redid the fitting and a new ring with no drips.
      Hope this clarifies the quick answer.
      Best of luck as the help for the kids does not stop. It sure is a pleasure to see the kids growing up and being able to assist them.

Mr. Fixit for the family
      Chris

Comment

We had a lot of remodeling done a few years ago. Last fall we found a drip by one of the shutoff valves that is located in the wall behind a very small access panel. The access is big enough to turn the shut off valves but not big enough to work on the leaky pipes. The pipes are plastic with crimped on fittings. We called our plummer that did the renovation plumbing. He came and looked at the leaky fittings and told us the manufacturer would cover the repairs. He did the work and billed the manufacturer. They paid for the wall to be ripped out and replaced. Not bad I thought.
        How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Well, your other choice is to take it apart, reassemble and re crimp, so if it's gonna have to be taken apart anyway, what's the harm in trying to re crimp it first??

It's like that part that's broken in half. If you ruin it trying weld it you're out nothing as it was junk as it was anyway.

Comment

It can't hurt since it already leaks.

It might help.

Luckily, so far, I have had zero leaks with my PEX stuff.

Finest regards,

troy

Comment

I would just make a new crimp. What I do is cut the pipe as close to the fitting as possible. I then use a Dremel abrasive disk to cut a slit in the existing crimp ring. Stick a screwdriver in the slot and remove the crimp ring. Getting the little bit of remaining tubing off the fitting can be a pain, but it will come. Then get a new crimp ring and make it right.

Comment

PEX is so cheap, there's no reason to putz with it.

If there isn't enough slack on the line to cut out a previous joint, splice in another section with a butt connector.

When assembling joints in tight spots; make them outside of position and then put them in place where you can get a good shot with the tool to finish the job.

I toss more pex in the garbage than I do romex - run long tails and cut to fit when finishing.

Comment

To me, pex hardware looks like it's just barely able to do the job. I've done the odd repair and changes to the system- I'm leery of it.
                  I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Originally posted by darryl
                    To me, pex hardware looks like it's just barely able to do the job. I've done the odd repair and changes to the system- I'm leery of it.
                    Admittedly I first thought the same when the pex system first hit the market. My first thought too was that it would not make a lasting connection.
                    After talking to several contractors who had been using the pex system on hundreds of installs without issue I started to become convinced that this was a viable system.
                    Purchased a high quality crimp tool and stuck with good quality components and 18 years later have not had any problems.

But like anything else, it seems there are some questionable components out there. I remember reading about a class action law suit against Zurn about a year ago for damage caused by their fittings and wondered if the OP could possibly be dealing with something similar. Zurn alone pumped around 200 million of these defective fittings into the system, so I'm sure they alone will have cast a dark shadow on the reputation of the pex system. Who knows, with a system that is in such widespread use there could be others.
                    Apparently the brass fittings supplied by Zurn were defective and Zurn has stopped selling these since May 2010.

More here:
                    http://www.zurnclassaction.com/
                    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Comment

I met one professional plumber who put two crimp rings at each pex fitting. Necessary? Maybe not, but I've done mine like that since.

There is also another type fitting / plastic pipe that looks almost exactly like pex but is slightly different - sorry, I don't recall the name for it - it was apparently used for a while up until 10 or 12 years ago then discontinued. No longer allowed for new construction (here in Canada anyway.) There are special adapters made to go between it and pex, but it is possible to mistakenly use it in place of pex. If your plumbing was done in the 80's - mid 90's (?) you may want to make sure that's not what it was done with. A long time plumber will probably know what I'd referring to.
                      "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

The stuff is called PB, Poly Butyl.
                        I believe there were some huge class action lawsuits about it. It did not pass the test of time.

I don't know how you could put 2 rings on properly. One would not be doing much.
                        Dave

Comment

Working...
                        X