No announcement yet.

Are these threading dies defective?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dies below #12 will often be relieved on the backside,it's not an issue with performance.
    If you try to thread an 8-32 screw into an 8-32 die it should go fairly easy even if it shaves a little swarf off.

If your trying to thread these on and it trys to wipe the threads out,then either the die is defective or what you have is a Lefthand die.Did you check that?
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I frequently screw a bolt into a die to clean up the threads, and I expect a certain amount of drag. These dies are so tight that they appear to turn an 8-32 bolt into a 6-32 bolt. I am sure they are not left handed dies.

I have a lot of small dies, smaller than the 8-32 and none of them have missing threads. They all have threads that go all the way through the die. These new ones are 1 inch dies, and typically those small dies come in 13/16th diameter. That could explain the missing threads, but I am skeptical.

I have at least one die like the Union-Butterfield that is relieved on the back, but the threads go all the way through.

If they are supposed to be like that then fine. It is just a new one on me. The next one I order will be made in the USA.

Comment

I managed to buy thru a member on this forum a real good selection of brand new Imperial and metric OSG dies. NONE of them look like your example.

And just for general info, Untill I started using those OSG dies, I hadn't ever experienced just how good a high quality die could cut or the quality of the threads that can be made. I'm totally sold on buying good dies. They are worth far more than they cost. I just need a set of OSG taps to go along with them now.

Pete

Comment

I second that. The hardware store stuff is an utter garbage when compared with good quality dies and taps.
          Mike
          WI/IL border, USA

Comment

Pete,

And those are the 1/4" thick dies or the 3/8" thick dies? It would be impossible for a 1/4" thick die to have more than seven full teeth at 32TPI, thus no relief or undercut.

Ron's die is 1"DIA and 3/8" thick, so about twelve threads (teeth) but his die is relieved of about five of those threads, leaving him about seven. Which is what you have if you have a 1/4" thick die.

I do not think the issue here is whether the die is relieved or not. Seems to be industry practice to not have more than seven or eight teeth in a die. Some may have more, some may have less, but not much more or much less.

The issue is (or should be) the quality of the die. Does it cut well and freely? Are the threads well formed and the correct PD?

-DU-

Comment

If the suspect dies have the usual tapered lead-in on the back side (WRT the OP's picture) then the c'bore of the side shown would preclude the practice of turning the die end for end to extend a thread up to a shoulder, should that be desired.

David Merrill

Comment

My OSG's are in various thicknesses depending on size, And your obviously correct that you only have X number of threads that can physicly fit into each dies depth. Those OSG's are like any other die I've ever used, They have the normal tapered lead in so each die starts to gently cut till it's established to a full depth of cut. Ron's pictures seem show a die that's been counter bored. Going by his pictures, There looks to be very little to no lead in. They appear to start cutting a thread at full depth right from the start. If what I'm seeing is correct? Then I'd think those dies are brand new scrap metal.

Pete

Comment

The Grizzly die is properly tapered to gradually cut the thread.

THE ENCO DIE IS MADE WRONG. There is no way you are going to start a full thread with no long taper inside the die. The taper on the other side of that die looks way too abrupt to work.

Try one with threading steel,but be prepared to send them back. I have never seen dies made like those.

Comment

Working...
                  X