Chain For Lifting A 14C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain For Lifting A 14C

I'll be using a forklift to put a 14C on a car hauling trailer and need to know why chain and hooks sold as "load binding" are labeled are labeled not for overhead lifting.

Since the lathe is @ 4000-5000LB and there will be 2 chains, I'd like to use either 3/8" grade 70 (6600LB), or 1/2" grade 70 (11300LB).

Straps are also an option, but I do much more load binding than lifting and want to spend the money on something I can use later.

Different countries have different rules but similar principles,
    I am in UK

Lifting gear has a 5:1 safety ratio and is tested 2:1

If you are lifting people there is another ratio.

load binders have a 1:1 ratio.

So a loadbinder chain or strap is rated 1 ton then you would expect it to break at 1 ton.

A lifting sling is rated 1 ton then you would expect it to break ar 5 ton, it has been proof loaded or tested to 2 ton.

...I am sure my figures are superceeded or just plain wrong but you get the idea.
    "...do you not think you have enough machines?"

Comment

Well, only grade 80 chain is supposed to be used for lifts. See Davidhcnc's post for the reason why. I personally don't mind having some grade 80 chain around, and I feel so wonderfully smug when an occasion warrants its use!

Comment

Lifting chain also is not required to have the same high visibility coating that binding chains are in many regions.
        "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

Just for fun see if I understand the rating charts using grade 1/2" grade 70 & a 5000lb lathe.

1. Rating & assumed breaking weight=11300LB for a single strand
          2. Rating & assumed breaking weight=22600LB for basket rigging
          3. 2 baskets used, each lifting 2500LBx1.154(60 degree leg angle)=2885LB
          4. Safety Factor=22600/2885=7.8:1

Also noticed grade 80 chain & hooks are heat treated alloy.

Based on the cost of the right chain & hooks, nylon slings may be the way to go.

Comment

Mind you protect the slings to stop them cutting.

Comment

I'll contact the supplier for recommendations about that.

Comment

I will use straps but prefer cable or chain. I have 4 cables with hooks that all meet on a ring in 3/8-1/2 & 1"" cable,also the same set up with chains. Very handy.
                "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
                world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
                country, in easy stages."
                ~ James Madison

Comment

Working...
                X