Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody want a job?

http://neworleans.craigslist.org/tfr/2842974722.html

Humm....wonder who could be needing a TV Gunsmith near NOLA?
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Job? I'm desperately looking for an advanced Unix admin to work for a very well heeled high energy dot com in zip 98104 with pay in 6 figgers. Been looking for a month! What's going on out there? I thought everyone was out of work and hell, I can't get a nibble.

Comment

Originally posted by dp
      Job? I'm desperately looking for an advanced Unix admin to work for a very well heeled high energy dot com in zip 98104 with pay in 6 figgers. Been looking for a month! What's going on out there? I thought everyone was out of work and hell, I can't get a nibble.
      Apparently not advanced Unix admins. Nor experienced C++ programmers, in my recent experience. Unemployment is most definitely not evenly spread across professions and skill sets. Sadly, I don't think that is likely to change, because it is going to continue to be tough for a lot of people.

-Pete
      I just like to make stuff.

Comment

Someone should forward the listing to Airsmith! They did mention big personality is a plus.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by dp

Is telecommuting an option? From 94566 ?

Dan
          At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

I don't know if Craig's List is the best place to advertise for a job or do a job search. Here in Ohio, a couple of guys were hiring through CL, taking the new employees into the woods and relocating them to shallow graves.

If the ad is for Sons of Guns, he is in trouble with his FFL, and needs to work under somebody else's. I wonder if they are looking for another shell to cover them.

SOG is another garbage show, giving an entirely false picture of what gunsmithng is about.
            Jim H.

Comment

Originally posted by dp
              The bulk of the people out of work will benefit from "job creation" which is BS IMHO. Created jobs are those for which you show up, and get paid.
              The guy you're looking for is already too busy.
              Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Comment

Originally posted by JCHannum
                If the ad is for Sons of Guns, he is in trouble with his FFL, and needs to work under somebody else's. I wonder if they are looking for another shell to cover them.

SOG is another garbage show, giving an entirely false picture of what gunsmithng is about.
                They lost the FFL's before the show even began in 2009.They cut a deal with the Feds to stay in business if they surrendered them.They formed a partnership with Vince(the actual gunsmith)who held the FFL they were operating under.

The one actual gunsmith they had quit and started his own company hince the need to find help

I'm local to the show and know the guy who built part of the props they blow up.I also know the gravel pits they shoot in.From talking to the local guys the show is 15% reality and 85% Discovery channel BS.It's a comedy show just like Goldrush.
                I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by dp
                  I thought everyone was out of work and hell, I can't get a nibble.
                  Those who are both fairly personable and have skill are rarely out of a job. Those with personality, talent, or other issues are the ones out of work. No offense intended to anyone, but from what I have seen, companies simply "trimmed the fat" in recent years and are only now beginning to rehire those less capable workers. When considering what the various groups/agencies etc report as the unemployment rate, one has to keep in mind however that they typically count part time work the same as full time. A job is a job regardless how little it earns the worker, and our recent "economic recovery" is largely a farce from what I hear - merely a significant increase in people willing to accept part time work vs no work.

I find the posted ad rather hilarious, but doubt its authenticity because it sounds like it was written by a 16 year old girl. Unfortunately, it may be real, in which case I will have even less reason to watch television. On a brighter note, if even these idiots can get a FFL, I just might have to take up gunsmithing as there is hope for those of us not covered in tattoos, who actually have clean records and are reasonably intelligent to break the stereotype these shows put forward.[/.
                  Last edited by justanengineer; 02-23-2012, 01:13 PM.
                  "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

Originally posted by justanengineer
                    On a brighter note, if even these idiots can get a FFL, I just might have to take up gunsmithing as there is hope for those of us not covered in tattoos, who actually have clean records and are reasonably intelligent.
                    Not having tattoos doesn't make you any better than someone covered in them. That has to be one of the dumbest comments you could make publicly. Nothing like stereotyping. And no, I don't have any tattoos.
                    Jonathan P.

Comment

While I find the subject of guns far more fascinating than motorcycles, that show (Sons of Guns) turns me off almost as much as the bickering dad & son motorcycle show. Both shows could be interesting if they'd just stick to the mechanical/technical issues, and drop all of the overbaked theatrics.

I watched an interesting show, or series of shows, last night. Dealt with life in the old west, including the life of Tom Horn, a Pinkerton agent who got carried away and became just a cold blooded killer, until finally stopped by the end of a rope in 1903, for killing a 14 year old boy in Wyoming.

The following episodes dealt with precision shooting, including an archer, a fellow Alabamian who has followed in the footsteps of Howard Hill, a famed Ala archer, as the top guy with a long bow (recurve actually). It took a couple of tries, but he did successfully hit the nock of a previous shot and drive it on through the target.
                      Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience[url
                        Humm....wonder who could be needing a TV Gunsmith near NOLA?
                        You mean they're finally going to hire a gunsmith?

I gave up on Sons of Guns on the third episode, when they had a Grade D actor meeting the owner on a bridge, claiming he was a Blackwater-type contractor needing an electrical M60 turret retrofit for an SUV in Afghanistan. They ended up jury-rigging a horribly constructed rotation mechanism, and that idiot who claims to be an engineer wired up a Wii remote for the controlller

The "operator" shows up on several other episodes in various roles.
                        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience
                          They lost the FFL's before the show even began in 2009.They cut a deal with the Feds to stay in business if they surrendered them.
                          How did they lose their FFL? The vast majority of Red Jackets business was doing retrofits of AK sporter models.

They formed a partnership with Vince(the actual gunsmith)who held the FFL they were operating under.
                          Someone on the AR15 forums posted a vidcap showing Vince with a prominent gang tattoo under his left ear, and he mentioned something in one of the first two episodes about going to jail. How the heck can you hold an FFL if you were convicted of a crime?

Can you keep an FFL with a misdemeanor?
                          "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
                            How did they lose their FFL?
                            By "losing" something like 10 guns from their inventory. I believe they were all class III weapons too.

http://www.tmz.com/2011/12/23/sons-o.../#.T0Zhy3ktWHh
                            Last edited by Highpower; 02-23-2012, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Highpower
                              By "losing" something like 10 guns from their inventory. I believe they were all class III weapons too.

http://www.tmz.com/2011/12/23/sons-o.../#.T0Zhy3ktWHh
                              Holy Sh!t!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X