metal spinning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• metal spinning

Has anybody done metal spinning on a wood lathe?
    How much force on the metal plate do you need?
    What keeps the plate from just spinning off the form?
    I'm planning on spinnig a 16 gauge brass plate into a dome with
    a lip for a oil lamp.
    About 10 inches in diameter.

Check YouTube videos.

Comment

Since you have no location in your header, If you are in the US you can rent the best DVD from Smartflix they are great also
      pennstate industries has a short DVD(free) that explains it, they also have some stuff for doing it

Google the old books on metal spinning, as it hasn't changed when doing it by hand in the last 100 years. About the only change has been the names on the lathes.

There is a follower block that is placed on a live center in the tailstock that is holding the disk in place on thew mandrel.

You have to anneal the disk and not any brass is turnable even with annealing.

There are a couple of threads that discussed this in the recent past the last couple of months of last year. Use the search function.

It isn't some think that can be explained in a post or two.
      Glen
      Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
      I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
      All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

Penn State's video is free and gives a good overview of the process. I am looking to try spinning as well. It takes a while to arrive but it's free so you shouldn't complain. Just plan for it to take a couple of weeks.

16 gauge brass is very thick for spinning and would require a massive lathe. Curved shapes have a tremendous amount of strength and much thinner material will work just fine. The amount of curve will affect the amount of force needed.

Spinning can't be done on "toy" lathes, and since it is done at high speed, you should be very comfortable using your lathe before tackling it.

Neil

Comment

Tim Yoder on the Woodturner Workshop (PBS) recently did a segment on spinning. Check it out at http://www.woodturning.rsupublictv.o...ideo-on-demand

He uses a very heavy lathe, a Stubby, very expensive. This is a wood turning lathe that costs more than some machine lathes.

Comment

metal spinning is easy!

Originally posted by Spookydad
            Penn State's video is free and gives a good overview of the process. I am looking to try spinning as well. It takes a while to arrive but it's free so you shouldn't complain. Just plan for it to take a couple of weeks.

16 gauge brass is very thick for spinning and would require a massive lathe. Curved shapes have a tremendous amount of strength and much thinner material will work just fine. The amount of curve will affect the amount of force needed.

Spinning can't be done on "toy" lathes, and since it is done at high speed, you should be very comfortable using your lathe before tackling it.

Neil
            I just finnish my first dome from 16 gage brass and it didn't take a massive
            lathe! In fact the lathe I used was a 1/3 HP. The trick is to have lots of leverage and keep your metal well lubracated. The place I went to does
            all kinds of spinning(mostly mushroom fan covers) I brought my brass disc
            they let my try spinning it.They wher vary nice and friendly.I watched how they did it, and got some help to start my spinning.The owner is a shop teacher from my old high school and remembered me.I spent the whole day there(they practically had to kick me out of there at the end of the day)!

Comment

Working...
            X