OT: Chimmney Sweepers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Chimmney Sweepers

Here in Germany it is mandatory to have your chimmneys swept every three months. Each area has only one company that does the work. We have several chimmneys that they come and do. These guys are like something out of an old Charles Dickens book or movie. They are cool looking in their uniforms. The eye patch is real and not a costume item.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Every three months !!!! ......that would make it uneconomical to burn a fire unless the fuel was free .

We have one in north wales who sometimes dresses like that...they make extra money from weddings ......he rides around in a van with a chimney pot with a brush sticking out of it on the roof.

all the best..markj

Comment

You don't maybe know what we have to pay for our propane!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Thank goodness we don't have such goofy looking vans over here.
        (Although I have seen some goofy Nissan vans appearing lately).

--Doozer
        DZER

Comment

No Chimney sweeps up in my area that i'm aware of, think this is mostly a city thing, around here people just clean their own chimneys, if elderly and unable to climb etc, usually a neighbour or relative does it.

This reminds me of an elderly neighbour who needed to have the chimney cleaned,--now this elderly gentleman was super tight with his money, and he got a neighbour to come and clean his chimney, when the guy was finished, and loading up his ladder and brush etc to head home, the elderly man paid him with a "Turnip".

This episode brought a lot of laughs around the area. A friggin TURNIP!!

Comment

Interesting characters, although they look more like a pair of Bodysnatchers from a Kids film than Chimney Sweeps

We have a log fire that we tend to use only over Christmas, more for the atmosphere it creates than anything else, the rest of time the central heating boiler does the job.
            We had it swept last year for the first time in about 10 years, but only because we could hear some starlings starting to build a nest in there.

However, for Insurance purposes, there is a clause in the policy that says if it's not swept once a year then any claims arising from chimney fires will not be valid, so perhaps worth getting it done for peace of mind.
            Cost to get it swept over here is around £35/$50.

Peter

Comment

Chimmney Sweepers

Thanks for the photo BF brings back a lot of wonderful memories from when I was stationed in Germany with the RCAF late 1950's. Apparently no change in their garb that I can see with you dressing up for the occasion. LOL

Enjoy your topics!

Bill
              Veteran - I served our country because it was the right thing to do.

Comment

Yeah, I just got back from Church!

Comment

When we were expats living in Meersburg, Germany the local sweep stopped by our house (a rental). He said he was there to clean the chimney. I told him I didn't call anyone and to go away. "No", he said, "you need your chimney cleaned!"

About 2 minutes later he convinced me it was required. He also knew exactly where the clean out was in the house, so I knew he had done this before.

Walt

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Neill
                    Interesting characters, although they look more like a pair of Bodysnatchers from a Kids film than Chimney Sweeps

Peter
                    yeah, Burke and Hare..if you dont pay up ..you'll be dissected

all the best.mark

Comment

"Hi I'm Larry, this is my brother Darell, and this is my other brother Darell...."

Comment

Working...
                      X